Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography Course in Dublin City Centre

• 24-08-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I'm looking into Photography courses in Dublin city centre.
    I'm more or less a novice who owns an SLR. I would like to do a course that help me to make the most out of my camera and how to take a good photo. I'd perfer not to rely too much on software!

I was looking into the following course
    http://www.digitalbeginners.ie/courses/creative_night.htm

It looks good but is a little on the expensive side - I just wondered if anyone can recomment it? (or another course). Any night except wednesday suits me!

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The Institute of Photography / Digital Beginners courses are usually highly recommended - while they may appear a little expensive / recession, etc... you will find they are about 1 million times better than what you'd get in most run of the mill nightcourses. It would be a great boost to your photographic journey.

As you are looking for city centre, have you thought of joining the Dublin Camera Club. As far as I can recall they run courses specifically for beginners at a reasonable rate over a number of weeks. Cabansail (a fellow photography moderator) is involved there so he maybe able to add / clarify this too. You can also tag along on club nights (Tuesday) for a few weeks without obligation to see if you like the bunch that are involved - given that at least half of them are from about these virtual parts I think they are pretty good people.

The IOP / Digital Beginners stuff is good. The DCC stuff is also good and gives you a choice. That choice is ultimately yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Thanks for asking this, saved me the trouble. I have been thinking the same thing, as I am DEEPLY in need of a good refresher course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mcdonnells

Highly recommend IOP.

Am doing another course with them this autumn.

Contact Dave and he will be able to assist your decision

Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Signed up for upcoming night course with IOP too - looks very impressive!

The Dublin Camera Club course whilst much cheaper did not seem as in depth (at least not the currently advertised course) and their inclusion of darkroom methods was a large turn off for me - I purely will concentrate on digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RoNo1984

Another option is the Gallery of Photography in temple bar, I did an intro to creative photography course with them last year and it really was exactly what i was looking for, learned how to use my SLR and all about history of photography and what makes a photograph look good, rule of thirds etc. also didnt do any computer based stuff... Going to do a computer based course now soon!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement