Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Itchy spots on dog

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I've been bringing two dogs for a walk and the smaller one (mini jack russell) has been rubbing herself on the carpet or anything else she can to scratch herself. I didn't bring her for a walk today because the owner said her breathing was very bad (she nearly died of a lung infection when she was a pup) after I brought the other one for the walk I had to sit down with the little one and give her some attention. I noticed that she had small lumps on her ears, I had a closer look and she has them on her head, legs and belly, they are raised and red. I checked her out, she doesn't have any fleas. I'm a little worried about her, she had an allergic reaction to something before and her head swelled up! I had been bringing her for a walk in a wooded area off the lead.

The other dog is fine too, it's just the little one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Any smell?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As always ..the vet is the first port of call.

I would suspect something like a grass mite infection/allergy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

No smell

I've never heard of grass mite infection. And I can't bring her to the vet, she's not my dog, couldn't afford it anyway. I can do a bit of a check of the possibilities and tell the owners tomorrow, I don't know if they are going to bring her yet, they might wait and see how she is tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

it sound like harvest mites our pup has them at the min if u look close you will see little orange dots they are the eggs the vet has told us you cant really do much about them other than wash with hibby scrub disinfectant from vet they are not dangerous just annoying and itchy we got a frontline spray from vet for it too but to b honest it was just a waste of money they get them from being in grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Our JR gets a fungal infection (from/due to mites or so the vet tells us - they don't know as each vet in the same practice gives us a different story and treats it differently) at this time of year. You soon notice the signs of redness and itching if you don't you'd notice the smell. We now treat it from the beging of August with a Soothing Tea Tree oil spray, if we keep it up it works as well as anything the vet offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My dogs also have these harvest mites, little spots of scabs on toes, armpits and near eyes on one dog.
    Got a liquid you dilute and dab on with cotton wool(treat weekly,but they seem to be gone after one treatment on my dogs), the orange eggs fall off and cuts scabs heal up in a few days.
    They're harmless and you would be able to see them if this is the problem.
    Could be nettle rash too, my friends dog (dachshund) gets stung easily as his hair is very fine, just raised bumps bit pinker than skin. Normally disappear in hours.
    Hope dog's ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

There was another poster over the last day or two with similar problems.

It is most likely a reatio to grass mites or a plant of some sort which your dog is coming into contact with. Sometimes ivy, sometimes hog weed or even fox glove can cause a reaction.

Vet's is a must and they will probably give you a medicated shampoo o treatment to use until it goes.

Advertisement