Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can landlords get info about you with your PPS number?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

What info is held on your pps number? Is it only to do with tax? By giving it to my landlord what info can she learn about me?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Why are they asking for your pps number, if its for the rent credit in tax they should be giving you their pps number. If they dont want to give you their pps number they can give you their name and address. Revenue will ask 2 out 3 ie name address pps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

I would assume that due to data protection your landlord can't get anything as it would be a breach of your personal privacy. Just like knowing someones bank account number wouldn't get you any information (unless you impersonated the account holder).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

To have a legal tenancy agreement you need to provide your pps number so the landlord can register the tenancy with the PRTB.

Very little can be gotten from just a pps number, you'd need to prove more identification than just your number to have any information disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

because the last 3 places I rented wanted my pps number on the contract. I thought it was just a standard thing to request. We are going to be signing a 9 month contract so will I more than likely be handing over my pps number and what will she be doing with it exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

LaLucy wrote: »
    What info is held on your pps number? Is it only to do with tax? By giving it to my landlord what info can she learn about me?
    Thanks

He wants your PPS number so he can register you on PRTB (private residence tenancy board). Think they do this so they can claim damages more easily or something. Its supposed to work both ways, but when I emailed them about my landlord taking my deposit they didn't even reply.

• Advertisement

He wants your PPS number so he can register you on PRTB (private residence tenancy board). Think they do this so they can claim damages more easily or something. Its supposed to work both ways, but when I emailed them about my landlord taking my deposit they didn't even reply.

To complain about a landlord taking your deposit you have to fill out a dispute form first.
    http://www.prtb.ie/disputes.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Off topic, but you have to use the forms on the website and not just email claims like that to them, they've long delays usually so get the form off the website. A lot of tenants have managed to leverage the law to their advantage, the landlords quango are very unhappy about it and feel its very one sided.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

I really can't stand that! When you get to end of the lease and it's time for them to pay back your deposit they ALWAYS have to take something. The last place I rented was ****ing tiny, we left it spotless, cleaner than we got it, even cleaned the skirting boards, they took €40 because of one tiny piece of cheese in the fridge which they said would need a cleaner in for! It makes me want to scream because they are just slime balls! Phew ok off the point there but I hope you do persue your deposit back as it will make them think twice for future tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I would not tell any landlord of mine my pps number. according to this
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/rou.aspx#presten
    says "unless it cannot be ascertained by reasonable inquiry"

so you may need to tell the prtb, but never the landlord.

Also this
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/useofppsn.aspx

says
    "The Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number) is designed for use in transactions between the individual and public bodies. The PPS Number may only be used by persons authorised to do so under Social Welfare legislation"

I'm guessing your landlord isn't authorised.

I would not tell any landlord of mine my pps number. according to this
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/rou.aspx#presten
    says "unless it cannot be ascertained by reasonable inquiry"

so you may need to tell the prtb, but never the landlord.

Also this
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/PPSN/Pages/useofppsn.aspx

says
    "The Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number) is designed for use in transactions between the individual and public bodies. The PPS Number may only be used by persons authorised to do so under Social Welfare legislation"

I'm guessing your landlord isn't authorised.

The landlord isn't 'using' your pps number, he's giving it to the PRTB for your tenancy to be registered along with all your other details and payment by him.

There's far too much scarmongering around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Cathooo wrote: »
    The landlord isn't 'using' your pps number, he's giving it to the PRTB for your tenancy to be registered along with all your other details and payment by him.

There's far too much scarmongering around.

Why not let the tennant give their pps number to the prtb directly?
    Why trust the landlord more than necessary?

The second quote from the welfare says the ppsn is only for use in transactions between the individual and state bodies. The landlord is private sector.

Why not let the tennant give their pps number to the prtb directly?
    Why trust the landlord more than necessary?

The second quote from the welfare says the ppsn is only for use in transactions between the individual and state bodies. The landlord is private sector.

Because when you're registering a tenancy it's done on one form. Part of that form is asking for the tenant's pps number. The PRTB wouldn't have it on the form if it wasn't safe.

The second quote is correct but again, the landlord isn't 'using' the number. He's putting it on a form for the PRTB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

While technically you can't do anything with a PPSN if you know people in the right place you can. I was quite surprised by one place I worked as we had access to all PPSN and tax information.

The landlord is only doing what is required so no great conspiracy.

If there is a dispute can the PRTB use the PPSN to track the person down if the did a legger? I haven't heard of it been done but after seeing the information it is very easy to find somebody if they are allowed access to it. It wouldn't work in all cases but in most it would.

Advertisement