Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New UCD Student Centre

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

Now maybe I am wrong but I was certain that someone in the SU told me that the brand spanking new Student Centre would be more or less done come this September. I took a spin around the campus while bored a few days ago and all I could see from the steps of the Sports Centre was basically gravel. No signs of any construction activity, no machinery, no concrete blocks...nothing. Anyone know what the story is with this? As I approach 21 I feel I will probably be dead before I get to swim in this 50metre pool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

No it will not be ready for a few years. As far as I know it has already been delayed but im open to correction on that. If you are in first year you may see it completed during your college experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I heard 2011 somewhere, dont quote me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

I remember Dermot Moran,our lecturer,were telling us that when he was studying in UCD,which was some 30 years ago, they were taking money from students towards building the new Student centre with "50m Pool". Guess, they finally gathered enough money to start building it,but crisis hitted hard and recession raged...

Infernon wrote: »
    I remember Dermot Moran,our lecturer,were telling us that when he was studying in UCD,which was some 30 years ago, they were taking money from students towards building the new Student centre with "50m Pool". Guess, they finally gathered enough money to start building it,but crisis hitted hard and recession raged...

Did they get their money back? I dont know what the big hoopla is about a swimming pool

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

http://www.ucd.ie/campusdevelopment/transformationalprojects/studentcentreprecinct/

That's the UCD site for it, very little info there though. Except it mentions late 2008 as a start date, and iirc work only started in march/april 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Infernon

Grimes wrote: »
    Did they get their money back? I dont know what the big hoopla is about a swimming pool

Well,apparently they didn't.Otherwise they wouldn't be able to start as it took them 30 years to collect them :D The hoopla is, that fecking Trinity has one, so we must have ours,but bigger,better,and stronger. Well,anyway it's bluntly apparent to me, and I am in favor of this new development ;)

Infernon wrote: »
    Well,anyway it's bluntly apparent to me, and I am in favor of this new development ;)

Hack Attack ? :p

Would people like to see a vote on continuing the student center levy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Hack Attack ? :p

Would people like to see a vote on continuing the student center levy?

Most definitely! If free health care is retracted surely we can retract our donations!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Most definitely! If free health care is retracted surely we can retract our donations!

Article 6 – The Referendum

1. A referendum of all the members of the Union shall be the supreme authority on all matters relating
    to the government of the Union.

2. There shall be four categories of referendum, namely: Constitutional Referendum; Policy
    Referendum; Consultative Referendum; and Impeachment Referendum.

(i) A referendum shall be called by the Returning Officers on petition in writing of not less than
    3.5% of the total registered membership of the Union at the time of submission (hereinafter
    “by petition”) or on the direction of Council (hereinafter “by direction”).

(ii) The primary date of polling in a referendum shall be a weekday in term on which lectures are
    generally held in the University and which is not more than four weeks and not less than two
    weeks from the date on which the referendum is called.
    4. In the case of a referendum by petition, each petitioner must sign the referendum petition
    underneath, at the end of, or on a sheet attached to, an exact wording of the referendum and provide
    their name, course (programme), year (stage) and student number.

5. In the case of a referendum to be called by direction:
    (i) The direction shall be made by the passing by Council, at a quorate meeting, of a referendum
    motion setting out the exact wording of the referendum.

(ii) Notice of a referendum motion shall be given at the previous meeting of Council and in a
    manner consistent with the Standing Orders of Council.

Off with ya then!

http://www.ucdsu.ie/about/constitution/

So you need about 665 signatures calling for a rerun on the levy. I shuouldnt say that should be too hard to be honest.

• Advertisement

So you need about 665 signatures calling for a rerun on the levy. I shuouldnt say that should be too hard to be honest.

It would probably be one of the simplest petitions ever! Sit outside the Arts building for a day and it would be done.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Count me in if you want a signature.

€157,50 would cover all medical bills aswell for the average student for a year anyway if not two!

Advertisement