Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Muna bhfuil / Mara?

• 24-08-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

I kept seeing mara used in text, but up until now I've only heard muna. Are these both the same meaning?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

'Mura' is in the caighdeán, 'muna' is how it is pronounced in a few of the canúintí, Conamara for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Alright, cheers - I just kept hearing muna, but kept seeing mura. That explains it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

dlofnep wrote: »
    Alright, cheers - I just kept hearing muna, but kept seeing mura. That explains it.

If in doubt, it's usually a dialectic thing.

Cool :)

While I have you here Múinteoir - Could you explain the differences in pronounciation between An Modh Coinníollach and Aimsir Ghnáthchaite.

For example with D'ól mé - You have d’ólfainn (Modh Coinníollach) and d’ólainn (Aimsir Ghnáthchaite).. I'm not sure of the differences in pronounciation between them.. And also d’ólfadh and d’óladh.. I mean, the F is silent anyways right? So - I'm kinda lost on how to differentiate between saying would and used to.. ?

Cool :)

While I have you here Múinteoir - Could you explain the differences in pronounciation between An Modh Coinníollach and Aimsir Ghnáthchaite.

For example with D'ól mé - You have d’ólfainn (Modh Coinníollach) and d’ólainn (Aimsir Ghnáthchaite).. I'm not sure of the differences in pronounciation between them.. And also d’ólfadh and d’óladh.. I mean, the F is silent anyways right? So - I'm kinda lost on how to differentiate between saying would and used to.. ?

The f in the MC is usually pronounced as a h or as an f!

• Advertisement

So - Dole-hin and Dole-in.. and Dole-hock / Dole-ock? That sound about right?

So - Dole-hin and Dole-in.. and Dole-hock / Dole-ock? That sound about right?

Sin é! I think it's pronounced as an f in Gaeilge na Mumhan.

Ceart go leor, grma a Mhic!

I'm trying to translate my sig but having problems.

I have - D'aontóinn le éinne chun ceart a dhéanamh ach ní aontóinn le éinne chun mícheart a dhéanamh.

Does that sound about right - Is mícheart ok in terms of wrong in a sense of morals? And also - is there actually a noun for 'nobody' or do I have to use the negative form of a verb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

you could use: [altho i find the above one grand and unambigious]

cóir - just/rightful (i have only seen it used in reference to crime)
    cothrom - balanced
    cuí - appropriate
    dílis - genuine
    dleathach - lawful
    dlíthiúl - legal
    eithiciúl - ethical
    fíorga - righteous
    fíreannach - truthful
    ideálach - ideal
    ionraic - upright
    macánta - honest
    morálta - moral
    neamhiomrallach - unerring
    suáileach - virtuous
    slán - sound(?)
    uasal - honourable

The bold ones are the most fitting, imo.

you woud also have to use something like ''rud cothromach'' - or something like that to make it fit as an adjective (or whatever type of word it is)

[Teasáras - G Bannister - 20 euro, priceless]

• Advertisement
Advertisement