Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with finding new place in Cork...

Options
  • 24-08-2009 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

I've been looking for a new place for a while now, I'll probably be going to CSN in a few weeks so I'm looking for a place on the number 3 bus route.

I'm having problems with the current house I'm in, and the estate agents recommended another place which I went to see with my Dad.

It was a big place for the money. It was a little over my limit but my Dad said he'd pay it, and since i was renting my own place I'd get the electricity allowance etc.

My Dad said there'd be no pressure on me to take it, and what do you know there was. He was so impressed with it he keeps pushing and pushing.

My problem is that while it's on the bus route, it's at the other end of the bus route and will take ages. Also I'm not too fond of the area, it's north side and there's no garden or green area in sight, whereas most of the houses that would be south side, and closer to the place on the bus route(more free time due to less travel is always good, I can't stand buses).

I wouldn't be able to stomach a half hour bus journey there and back every day as I get travel sick.

The place had a fairly large kitchen and was around 550 a month but they said we might be able to get it down to 500. My Dad says I'll be kicking myself if I let it go. But I don't know if a large place will make me happy if I don't have a garden and am nowhere near anything like one, and I'm so far from the college I'll probably be going to.

But he just won't listen, he keeps pushing and pushing and saying how it's great and he'd take it for myself. I'd feel bad for not taking it now.

I wonder how likely I would be to find a similarly impressive place somewhere around the south side?(I'd be looking at the area from evergreen street to old blackrock road).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Tell him you don't feel comfortable living in the Northside, no matter what the house is like. I would focus on the Southside and avoid the Northside like the plague. Unless it is somewhere like Sundays Well. Someone will no doubt come on and say sure the Northside has a great community spirit. Don't listen to them, 70% of its a hell-hole and anyone I know from outside Cork that lived there first moved to the Southside ASAP.

Don't go by the advertised rent, most landlords/estate agents expect you to offer 100 or 150 lower than advertised. My old apartment block has 16 apartments sitting empty.

500e is probably too low for getting your own house with a garden. In that price range look for apartments. The sweetspot right now for houses is between 700 and 900. That covers everything from average houses, excellent apartments up to luxury 1 or 2 bed houses. Why not look for an apartment without a garden but near a park.

Spotted these on Property.ie:

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/No-3-Roseville-Douglas-Road-Cork-City-Centre-Co-Cork/763983/

http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Sundays-Well-Cork-City-Centre-Co-Cork/706164/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CatacombKittens

I would be expecting an appartment alright, a 1 bed/bedsit. It wouldn't have to be very good, but I'd like it to be in a fairly green area.

Rent allowance only covers up to 460 a month unfortunately. I could probably top it up to 500.

I didn't realise you could go lower than the asking price.

Double Rooms have suddenly shot up in price... really frustrating.

Advertisement