Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waking up at anytime i think of

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

Ok this will sound completely stupid and i might come off sounding a bit like a fruitcake, but anyway, here it goes:

Usually before i go to sleep, i think of a time that i want to wake up at, for e.g 8:00, 9:20, 9:45, 10:30am etc. Then when i wake up, i find the time i was thinking of displayed right there on my digital clock (and no i didn't set the alarm to go off at that time). Now this doesn't happen everytime but it has happened alot. So it cant be coincidence.....i think.

So anyone else experience the same thing?

I'm not crazy by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Would it be a case of you getting up at around 9 every morning give or take 20 mins and so your body is used to it .. and now you're trying to make a pattern out of something which may not be quiet as exact as you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

karlog wrote: »
    Ok this will sound completely stupid and i might come off sounding a bit like a fruitcake, but anyway, here it goes:

Usually before i go to sleep, i think of a time that i want to wake up at, for e.g 8:00, 9:20, 9:45, 10:30am etc. Then when i wake up, i find the time i was thinking of displayed right there on my digital clock (and no i didn't set the alarm to go off at that time). Now this doesn't happen everytime but it has happened alot. So it cant be coincidence.....i think.

Don't worry, it happens to me too. I never bother with an alarm clock. It doesn't make you less crazy though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 jokerrus

No big deal man. you should know, human brain is a mystery. We have this function (or so called our own clock) inside (yes) inside our brain. Most people dont bother using it but it does exist and can be used to replace alarm clocks or whatever else.
    I do it the whole time so chillax

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

I do this - no matter what time I'm set to wake up for (and believe me there's no routine - it could be 7.45 one day and 11.30 the next) I set my alarm but always, always without fail wake up a couple of minutes before my alarm is due to go off. It baffles me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

nice thread.
    i also have been doing this since i was a young teenager.. or i guess i noticed it when i first had an alarm for gettign up in the morning. i guess around 17/18
    as others said. id wake up before the alarm and then sit there waiting for it to go off so i can turn it off and go back to sleep haha.

it mostly works when i say the time quietly and also in my head like 3-5 times.really focus on the tiem and picture the clock u have with that time and the morning light. i found the more i picture the scene the more likely i will wake up on the button.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I only do this if I've to get up earlier than usual for something important.

For example, say if I set my alarm for 6.30 and am thinking of the reason I've to get up so early before I go to sleep, I then wake up just a couple of minutes before 6.30 - maybe about 6.27 or 6.28.

This has happened me several times. It usually only happens if I've something stressful on that day, like an exam I've to get up early to study for or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Blame it on the

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

The same thing happens to me also,i'm nearly sure about five minutes before i wake up that i think about what i will be doing for the day,like from what time i'll make the lunch,tea,dinner,mow the lawn,or something thats not even a regular chore...its like i've have premonitions before i wake up in the morning...weird or what!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LaMortis

Well they say that a human brain never stops working, even in sleep. I talk myself into whatever time i want to wake up at before i fall asleep (or if i want to remember my dreams in the morning, or if i want to have a lucid dream) by repeating it over and over again, and it never fails.
    It's a great device, especiall when you train your brain for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I know how you feel. I do it too. It's just one of those unexplained mysteries. I'm sure everyone can do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

When I was in secondary school I used to always wake up at the time I needed to - admittedly it was generally the same time every morning, but it used to work even when it wasn't the same time every morning.

I always set an alarm now, but I almost always wake up just before it goes off...even though I have to get up at different times every day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

it works

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Or maybe you just wake up multiple times, see the clock, it's not the time you programmed, go back to sleep and forget you've woken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Yeah I can do the same thing, I just pick a time in my head and I can wake up to within a few minutes of it.

Advertisement