Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of butterfly is this??

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I took these photos yesterday near the coast in Connemara. The butterfly was very striking and the flowers which it was on were in a marshy, boggy area. I couldn't identify it, so would love if anyone could help me out..

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bmtannam

pops wrote: »
    I took these photos yesterday near the coast in Connemara. The butterfly was very striking and the flowers which it was on were in a marshy, boggy area. I couldn't identify it, so would love if anyone could help me out..

Thanks.

3378 is a lovely pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Female Common Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

Great. thanks for that, it was the orangey bits that had me puzzled. Beautiful butterfly though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

How do you know it's female Mothman? Here's one I took last week (not as nice as pop's pic!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

littlebug wrote: »
    How do you know it's female Mothman? Here's one I took last week (not as nice as pop's pic!).
    The male doesn't have orange on the upper side.
    This page has photos of both sexes. scroll down for mating pair.
    I'm not experienced enough to sex the one in your photo with confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

It definitely had the white fringe all the way around the wings. That website was very useful.

BTW I also spotted 3 larvae of a hummingbird moth in the same area!! Never seen the actual moth itself though..

Advertisement