Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS problems

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Had some problems getting broadband through the NBS from Three for my in-laws

The customer service is terrible, have had nothing but hassle when dealing with them, even when complaining. The call centre is outsourced hard to understand them and just so scripted.

After we they received the modem after having to call them up and let them know I don't care what colour modem we get.

Then the engineer came out and tested the signal he said inside the house the signal wasn't good (he blamed it on the double glazing) but outside it was very good. He said that an another engineer would be out to decide to install an external antenna or a satellite dish.

Then they phoned again to let us know that the next day the engineer would be out to install a satellite dish. The dish was to be 1 metre in diameter. They don't want something that big running the house and I can understand.

What I would like to know is do three offer external antenna? The first engineer said it would work perfectly with it?

Is the satellite dish really 1 metre in diameter?

Thanks

Deu

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No, Three don't do external aerials. Though other people do.

Yes, the dish could be too small in wet weather even at 1m.

The proper Three Satellite service doesn't exist as the Satellite isn't launched. In some parts of the country you would need a 1.4m to 1.8m dish for reliable reception/transmission in the rain of the main Avanti service as it's not indended for Ireland. Of course they may be using someone elses service temporarily.

Are you sure no real Broadband service is available by Fixed Wireless? The NBS is just the Mobile Phone Modem, not actually Broadband.

There are also established Internet suppliers with Irish Support that are experienced with Satellite. Three has no experience. They are a Mobile phone company and have no Broadband product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

Deu wrote: »
    Hi,

Had some problems getting broadband through the NBS from Three for my in-laws

The customer service is terrible, have had nothing but hassle when dealing with them, even when complaining. The call centre is outsourced hard to understand them and just so scripted.

After we they received the modem after having to call them up and let them know I don't care what colour modem we get.

Then the engineer came out and tested the signal he said inside the house the signal wasn't good (he blamed it on the double glazing) but outside it was very good. He said that an another engineer would be out to decide to install an external antenna or a satellite dish.

Then they phoned again to let us know that the next day the engineer would be out to install a satellite dish. The dish was to be 1 metre in diameter. They don't want something that big running the house and I can understand.

What I would like to know is do three offer external antenna? The first engineer said it would work perfectly with it?

Is the satellite dish really 1 metre in diameter?

Thanks

Deu
    Very interesting experience - thanks for posting. Remember that the Satellite dish doesn't have to be on the house - in fact it is illegal to put a satellite dish on the front of a house. However, most installers pick the shortest route. You could pick a wall outside in the back garden, or somewhere less obvious. If you are getting the offer of Satellite, it is probably a lot better than anything you will get with 3G - and it is subsidised, so it might be worth taking. There is no evidence that this service is any good, so there are no guarantees.

Make sure that all of your experience is documented and sent to the Minister for Communications, ComReg, and copied to the CEO of 3 Ireland.

3 are getting paid €80M of Government/EU money for this non-service. It is important that every customer highlights their experience. Bord Snip could save millions for the country if everyone complains.

There is absolutely no evidence that a single customer is yet receiving the specified NBS service that was supposed to have been launched in Spring of this year. There is ample evidence that customers are receiving a sub-standard service that does not meet the specification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

....and be prepared for the calls trying to convince You and Your family move Your mobile services to the 3 network, thats what its all about for them really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

watty wrote: »
    No, Three don't do external aerials. Though other people do.

Yes, the dish could be too small in wet weather even at 1m.

The proper Three Satellite service doesn't exist as the Satellite isn't launched. In some parts of the country you would need a 1.4m to 1.8m dish for reliable reception/transmission in the rain of the main Avanti service as it's not indended for Ireland.
    All Dishes above 1m require planning permission, irrespective of where they are placed on a house.

Galway Co. Council recently put a mother in jail for having a Satellite dish without planning permission.

Are 3 going to accept responsibility if their customers are jailed due to satellite dishes being installed without planning permission?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

the 'antenna' he referred to is called a Femtocell, it boosts signal thru the wall in both directions . Where is their mast relatively ??

• Advertisement

The Three "femto cell" in the Brochure is an indoor repeater though, no outdour mounting/aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Deu

Thanks for all the replies.

I haven't investigated all the other options available to them, but they are out in the sticks and don't have a great mobile signals. I have used Vodafone 3g from my work but it was very so i thought it might be better with some sort of repeater. I will have to investigate these options fuller now.

As for installing the satellite dish, they did offer to put it on a pole in the garden but it would need a substantial pole and foundation to hold it as 1 metre is a big dish so the wind effect never mind the size would be big.

I know about the repeater or femtocell as you are calling it but that is not the antenna I am talking about the engineer said that an external antenna something outside the house the repeater is for inside the house.

The didn't mention anything about planning permission being required for the dish. Either way my in-laws don't want some monstrosity in their garden.

Thanks again for the all the replies.

Does anybody know anything about using vodafone or 02 broadband with an external antenna would it improve the signal?

Thanks

Deu

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The technology behind 3g boosting and repeaters/femtocells/external aerials and VSAT is generally discussed more in the Midband forum .

If the house has K glass ( or "low e" glass) repeating will not work too well

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

Advertisement