Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moorings on the east coast

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm pretty close to buying a small day cruiser sail boat, nothing fancy, but can't wait to get out in it.

Only problem is where to keep it. I know there is another thread in here about berthing, however I'm wondering does anyone know about the availability and cost of harbour moorings, i.e. not marina berths but free standing harbour mooring spots.

I don't have the few grand a year to spend on a marina berth, so would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

where are you living and willing to travel to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 willis1

Based in Dundrum, south Dublin but would look at anywhere along the east coast of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Wicklow and Bray are worth checking out as they have some moorings. Court town further south also has a few. going north you can try Clontarf, Howth, Malahide, Rogerstown and Skerries. If you contact the local clubs in these areas they should be able to provide you with more information on how to get moorings and if you can lay them yourself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Driving time of one and a half hours puts you at Lough Ree YC and Two hours to Lough Derg YC. The inland lakes would be the cheapest alternative to the east coast.

Bray is tidal, so all boats may not be suitable. Courtown is another alternative. Also try Balbriggan, this guy would help you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 willis1

Sincere thanks to you both for your help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Just remember that most insurance companies won't cover you on swinging moorings after 31st October. Are you planning on leaving the boat in the water during winter? If you are it would have to be a well sheltered mooring. My boat is in Howth and it is will protected but I wouldn't dream of leaving it in the water over winter. You could try Poolbeg, Dun Laoghaire or Howth but there are waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

In Dun Laoghaire all the swinging moorings are organised/controlled by the 4 clubs. AFAIK they are all full and have waiting lists (as was pointed out above), with the exception of the DMYC. They laid some new moorings this year and only a few are taken. It might be worth giving them a shout.

There is a big "however" attached to them. The moorings are across from the HSS terminal and are directly in line with the mouth of the harbour so they may not be very sheltered.

Advertisement