Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building on $700

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭

Well lets see.

My boss wants to build a machine. He doesnt need a lot of power now (he only plays WoW) But you know, this thing should last him a ****ing spell.

For $600-$700 Im trying to advise him to get a great case and motherboard, a quaddie, and a 4350 can be had for $30 these days. everything else is pretty much expendable. But I mean, practically, you need a reliable HDD, a modest Disc Drive (possibly Blu Ray if it can be had cheap) and a multicard reader would be a help.

The other thing is he doesnt want Intel. I didnt ask why. But I dont know anything about AMD anymore. DDR2 Memory is fine.

Im looking for some reccomendations. I havent looked in 12 months - which means Im outta the game :p I realise for that budget he cant exactly go pro or anything and splash out on dedicated sound and ethernet cards or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

dollars eh?

Do you know of any cheapy american computer shops which we could look at components and prices for you?

I don't see the point in getting a blu-ray drive...
    Unless he specifically asks for it leave it out.
    In terms of an AMD build just get any Phenom II AM2/AM3 processor prob a good idea to get a AM2+/AM2 mobo as not sure if the ddr3 ram on the AM3 mobo would be within your budget.

Thinking that even a cheapie Dell pc would suffice(with good value too) his needs, but if he wants a build you may as well give him one...

If you want to impress you could prob get a blingy but quiet case. It does please the punters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

one word newegg

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

we were looking at newegg but you cant search by rating or anything. the selection is huge though. I just dont know what to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

+1 to newegg. Does he need monitor + peripherals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

sorry about the blurryness... vista is in there cause it includes a upgrade coupon to the same version of windows 7.. i know its a bit over but it shows just what you can get if you strech a bit, also i forgot to include 2x120mm fans which are cheap enough anyways

compcopy.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭meepins

I see this at micro center for 140 euros and weep
    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727

and apparently there is some cashback scheme through Bing and stores like newegg

Advertisement