Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten poem - i went to france said she ...

Options
  • 24-08-2009 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My grandmother used to reciet a poem at parties and I would love if somebody here could help me remember it. She always said it is a dublin accent and it went something like this "she went to France said she to learn to dance said she and went she came home siad she she grunted and groaned said she, do you think siad she ........ and i cannot really remember the rest. I thought maybe it was Percy French but I have googled his poetry and I cannot find it. I would be really grateful if anybody who knows the poem could let me know the complete poem or tell me who wrote it.

thanks m

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Lost In France - Bonnie Tyler

I was lost in France
    In the fields the birds were singing
    I was lost in France
    And the day was just beginning
    As I stood there in the morning rain
    I had a feeling I can't explain
    I was lost in France in love.

I was lost in France
    In the street a band was playing
    And the crowd all danced
    Didn't catch what they were saying
    When I looked up he was standing there
    I knew I shouldn't but didn't care
    I was lost in France in love

Oo la la la oo la la la dance
    Oo la la la dancing

I was lost in France
    And the vines were overflowing
    I was lost in France
    And a million stars were glowing
    And I looked roond for a telephone
    To say
    Baby I won't be home
    I was lost in France in love.

Oo lalala oo la la la dance
    Oo la la la oo la la la dancing

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

hmmm... don't think this was the poem the OP was looking for
    ...in fact other than being a nice piece of music has no literary merit at all:D

Sorry OP never heard of the poem I suggest you get yourself along to some of the sessions in Dublin and quiz a few of the older performers. Maybe you should try posting this in traditional music as most of these recitals are usual given at trad sessions..

...at least you are less likely to have Bonnie Tyler quoted to you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭One_Armed_Dwarf

I think the poem your looking for is called "Sez She" i'm not sure who wrote it but Ronnie Drew recorded a version of it (that would probably explain your granny reciting it in a dublin accent) I can't find a link to the poem online but it's on The Dubliners album "Dublin"

Advertisement