Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm about to take the plunge!

• 24-08-2009 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Well after all the advice I'll going to go for a 5d MKI. I've a wedding to cover for a friend in a few weeks and reckon the mk1 will ease the task. Would love the mkii but at the moment cost is just too high.

So, how do I choose a good second hand one? Bar the usual sensor dust check etc, are there any weak spots the 5d has that should be watch for?

Thanks again,
    Seán

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Apart from focusing in low light situations like a church or a reception, I can't think of any. :)

What camera are you using at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

was in Conns today - they have a secondhand 5D for around €1K I think....... might find a better price online but for a Bricks and Mortar shop they will be there if you have any problems and faster to return/deal with any issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Seán_B

oshead wrote: »
    Apart from focusing in low light situations like a church or a reception, I can't think of any. :)

What camera are you using at the moment?

Have 400d with some nice L lenses. The high ISO range and full frame is the real attractions for me. I have a 17-40L and 24-70L and love the wide angle with the full frame sensor.

Now I just need to make sure I get a good second hand 5d mki and I'll be happy!

PCPhoto wrote: »
    was in Conns today - they have a secondhand 5D for around €1K I think....... might find a better price online but for a Bricks and Mortar shop they will be there if you have any problems and faster to return/deal with any issues.

I'm definately going to stick with dealer here for that very reason. I might give Conns a shout in the morning and see what the one they have is like. Thanks for the heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

You wont go wrong with a 5D. Convinced a guy in work to sell his 30D and lenses he wasn't using to part fund a 2nd hand 5D. Only cost him an extra €300 to upgrade in the end. He paid €900 for it privately. I'd say the weakest thing on a 5D is the slightly slow fps rate (being picky here!), but for 90% of users that isn't a problem at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I suppose if you have your heart set on a 5D you may as well get one. :pac: Apparently low light focusing is a real issue (compared to the 1D mkII). Try using centre focus point for improved focusing accuracy. What you may need is a focus assist. I sometimes use the infrared beam from my 580EXII with the flash turned off. Makes a big difference on the 40D, should be a similar improvement in the 5D.

David OS

oshead wrote: »
    I suppose if you have your heart set on a 5D you may as well get one. :pac: Apparently low light focusing is a real issue (compared to the 1D mkII). Try using centre focus point for improved focusing accuracy. What you may need is a focus assist. I sometimes use the infrared beam from my 580EXII with the flash turned off. Makes a big difference on the 40D, should be a similar improvement in the 5D.

David OS

Thanks for the tip! I had heard about the limited focus points but I guess I'll need to work around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Seán_B wrote: »
    I'm definately going to stick with dealer here for that very reason. I might give Conns a shout in the morning and see what the one they have is like. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm sure there might be a regular of Conns on Boards who can do the transaction for you - allowing you to get a bigger discount. :eek:

I ask a friend of mine - even though I'm in and out of the shop every couple of weeks and my face is known....he saves me a couple of hundred a year....and I buy him some beers every now and again.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    I'm sure there might be a regular of Conns on Boards who can do the transaction for you - allowing you to get a bigger discount. :eek:

I ask a friend of mine - even though I'm in and out of the shop every couple of weeks and my face is known....he saves me a couple of hundred a year....and I buy him some beers every now and again.

Handy!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Bargin for good old fashioned cash.

Sometimes you'll be amazed at what a retailer will do for cash. Some will play ball others won't. Never hurts to ask.

Check what warranty offered. Bargin for this too.

Best of luck with the purchase :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I am thinking about getting one of these too, also can't afford the Mk II. Seems to be very few around. Any suggestions for websites for good second hand gear? I presume it's not possible to find any new models...

Also, how many actuations to look for? How much is too much?

Advertisement