Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chokes

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

getting my new gun on wednesday, beretta 686e black action it has adjustable chokes, problem is ive only ever used fixed chokes,
    has any one any guides as to what chokes to use where and when,

ie, rough pheasant shooting do you use a tight choke and a no 6 cartridge,,
    any help and info would be great,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Hey ronn,

There are 8 chokes available for the Beretta. You should recieve 5 with your new gun. The 8 are;

1) Full, - White
    2) Light full, - Grey
    3) Improved modified, - Black
    4) Modified, - Green
    5) Light modified, - Orange
    6) improved cylinder, - Yellow
    7) Skeet, - Red
    8) Cylinder, - Blue

Every Beretta choke has information on the tube to identify the maker (PB), the constriction (F, IM, IC, etc) the approval for steel shot use (SP) and the choke type (Optima-choke ,Optima choke plus).

When shooting clays i use either modifed (green, top barrel) and improved cylinder (Yellow, bottom barrel) for spring and teal, DTL but for closer shots like crossers i'd use Cylinder (blue, top barrel) and Skeet (red- bottom barrel).

The same applies when i'm out hunting game. I'll use Full (white, top barrel) and improved modified (black, bottom barrel) which is good for long to medium shots ( 35 - 65/70 yards). You'll develop your own choices over time shootng. To be honest i've often gone out hunting and left the clay chokes in the gun and by simply changing from say a 7 or 6 to a 5 it negates the ineffectiveness of the more open choke.

One piece of advice i'll give ya is with Beretta be it clays or hunting always look straight down the rib of the gun. Some guns you look up along the rib but with beretta all you should see is the sighting dot at the end of the barrels and have the sighter on the target. I have a 686e and 682e Gold and love the Beretta. You've got a great gun there so enjoy and best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

thanks for the info and the tips,

Advertisement