Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it terrible to lie to landlord?

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I told the lady I work part time and get social welfare allowance. In reality I do work about 10 hours per week at mo but it's a cash in hand job. I am trying to give my landlady peace of mind so she won't judge me for being on jobseekers allowance and immediately think I'll be a bad tenant. I will pay every month on time I just need to get my ass in the door but feel like I must lie a little as telling the truth has not helped so far.

Is this terrible? Can she find out anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, it's certainly not going to be good for your future relationship with the landlord if you begin by lying.

It's not that terrible, not much she can find out, but, statistically, you will be the type of tenant the landlord wants to avoid at all costs. On JA, and paid cash in hand is not a secure revenue stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭LaLucy

What is happening in Ireland with so many people getting the dole I thought that landlords would be expecting more people like me as a tenant?
    Many people I know have had their hours cut at work and are working part time and get jobseekers benefit.
    I have very good landlord references but what else can I do to make her feel more secure about it or will I just stop worrying about it?!
    I am going to meet her on sat to view the place and possibly sign contract that day and I want this place so gimme advice peeps :0P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

LaLucy, while its not ideal to lie to your landlady, unfortunately, people in this world are too quick to judge, so sometimes this has to be done.

Lie to her. You are not lying to deceive her, rather to assure her. This, in my book is a different kind of lie. This is like the lie I tell my dad.

"Hey, dad my credit card bill is 2grand" when in reality its 4.

He doesn't need to know, as its unnecessary worry.

If you plan to pay your landlady, and are telling her your circumstances are different to give her piece of mind, then its fine.

People bend the truth in this fashion at job interviews all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

I wouldn't worry at all about lying to landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭teddy_303

Cosy & easy to heat = Tiny
    Fixer upper = Shi*hole
    Friendly = Overcrowded
    Centrally Located = City slum.

Need I continue.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

LaLucy wrote: »
    I told the lady I work part time ... In reality I do work about 10 hours per week ...
    What lie?

You do however ahve to be honest with social welfare. Yes, they may take some money off you, but not all of it.

Advertisement