Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 launch event

• 24-08-2009 11:41pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I remember in the past microsoft had launch events where they gave away loads of free software. Does anyone know if there is going to be one for windows 7?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not got it already? :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm using the RC at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm using the RC at the moment.

I'm not, I'm using the RTM, its nice, very very snappy. Performs well in games too, which the beta didn't

There's not been as much hype this time with the release of Windows 7 as they had for Vista, they've quietly pushed it out there making its performance speak for itself, when in reality its just Vista repackaged with lots of shít turned off. They know the corporate masses will flock back as they seem to do for every second new offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I remember in the past microsoft had launch events where they gave away loads of free software. Does anyone know if there is going to be one for windows 7?

I was thinking the same myself the other day. I did well out of the Vista launch in croker and the office 2007/server launch in the Pod.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Do yuo guys know when the next one is. that would be cool

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A quick Google search shows nothing likely, and a search of the Microsoft Worldwide Events register (here) didn't return anything in Ireland. The only thing I can find that looks about right is this which would be promising if it weren't restricted to the US.

Of course, none of this helps me since I'm in London. On the other hand I plan to get it on the cheap as part of my education staff discount so never mind :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Just got an email a few minutes ago.

Windows 7 Launch Event

Jonathan wrote: »
    Just got an email a few minutes ago.

Windows 7 Launch Event

Got that as well. It doesn't sound great though. No mention of freebies.:rolleyes:

Don't fancy making the haul to Dublin for 8.30am. I'll wait for the Galway event I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Got that as well. It doesn't sound great though. No mention of freebies.:rolleyes:
    Did they advertise the freebies last time? Doesn't sound like something they would advertise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Can someone tell this poor non TechNET pleb if the Vista CDs given out at the Server 2008 launch event worked for over a year or if they did indeed become invalid after a certain time?

I am quite confident that freebies were not advertised the last time either.

• Advertisement

Jonathan wrote: »
    Did they advertise the freebies last time? Doesn't sound like something they would advertise.
    I am quite confident that freebies were not advertised the last time either.

They did indeed...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055014007
    This two-hour tech evening event will cut right to heart of what you need to know about all these new products:

• Learn about Windows Vista, Microsoft Office 2007 and Exchange Server 2007 from our technical keynote speakers
    • Chat to the experts and get your questions answered
    • Have a look at the new features and get your hands on the products themselves to try them out
    Best of all, each attendee will receive a full, free license for Widows Vista Home Edition, along with other evaluation software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Ah. I stand corrected yet again. Thanks kaiserzose:p

But were the freebies given out at the last launch day valid for over a year, or did Microsoft deactivate the license after 12 months?? There's not much point going to the event to get a copy of Windows 7 that will last a year.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kaizersoze wrote: »

Don't fancy making the haul to Dublin for 8.30am. I'll wait for the Galway event I think.

Screw that. I want some free software.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Just got an invite for the launch event at Wembley stadium and it makes clear that there will be giveaways but doesn't say what they are, so no free OS for me, I reckon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Screw that. I want some free software.

http://www.xubuntu.org
    http://www.gentoo.org/
    http://www.fedoraproject.org/
    http://www.slackware.com/

Take your pick :P
    Depends on your definition of 'free' mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Tried to register online but the site just crashes when I login.

Microsoft you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

"We are accepting waitlist registrations"
    Whats that all about? Is the Westbury that small and whats with the Breakfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Santiago Garcia

I have put myself on the waiting list but with a bit of luck some work contacts will get me in, considering the amount of money they spend on IT with MS :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I was at the launch of Windows 98 when I was 12 in the Westbury. Couldn't give a rats ass at the time, just wanted to play Age of Empires 2. And play I did.

Still have an old win98 gold disc around somewhere. Tried to install it on Jimeatsmenu's pc at the time but there was ''not enough space on the d:'' as far as I recall.

Got confirmation for the Galway launch event yesterday.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Can't do much better than this now, can we?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055691139

Attended the launch event in the Radisson in Galway today.
    Name tags waiting at the door so no need for confirmation email to be produced.
    We got the copy of Win7 Ultimate at the door goin in so if you wanted you could turn on your heel and go home.

It was nothing like the Vista or server 08 launches. Twas a sit down and listen job, all in one room.

Where they just general name tags or was your name printed on one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Gerb68 wrote: »
    No it was just general names like Tom, Paul or Allan you didn't get to pick your own name.

ScumLord wrote: »
    No it was just general names like Tom, Paul or Allan you didn't get to pick your own name.

:D

They had your name and business name (if you have one) printed on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 hernandinho

Was at the Radisson too, i was delighted with the biro and notepad we got :)

The rest of he launch events can be seen here: http://www.microsoft.com/ireland/windows/windows-7/developers.aspx

Anyone install it yet?
    What build is it?
    RTM was 6.1.7600.16385.090713-1255
    and is it 32 or 64bit or both?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Anyone install it yet?
    What build is it?
    RTM was 6.1.7600.16385.090713-1255
    and is it 32 or 64bit or both?

I am running 7600.16385.amd64fre.win7_rtm.090713-1255

It's both 32 and 64bit versions the same key is valid for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Invitations for the Dublin event are out.

• Advertisement

Am I correct that there are two different Dublin events. One in the Westbury on the morning of the 6th of Oct and another in the afternoon of the 15th of Oct.

Advertisement