Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good student Broadband? Plus installation.

Options
  • 24-08-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭

Im moving into student accomodation soon. There is no wifi access but there is ethernet points. The company who runs it says all you need is an ethernet cable to get on the internet.

My questions are:
    -Can I run my PS3 online with this?
    -Can I get my own broadband installed?
    -Where is best to get broadband (Seeing as I wont be paying it for the summer)?

If it turns out I don't need to get broadband from a company like Eircom then how would I get WiFi set up?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dmcg90 wrote: »
    -Can I run my PS3 online with this?
    Yes, but the company may block the ports used by games. You'd have to ask them.
    -Can I get my own broadband installed?
    That would depend on the owners of the student accommodation.
    -Where is best to get broadband (Seeing as I wont be paying it for the summer)?
    Depends on what's available. Most broadband contracts are 12 months.
    If it turns out I don't need to get broadband from a company like Eircom then how would I get WiFi set up?

A wifi router, which they supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

jor el wrote: »
    A wifi router, which they supply.

Pretty sure they don't provide routers seeing as theres a sign saying where you can buy an ethernet cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Most places iv seen and lived in with "student broadband access" offer outlets in each room, hence the Ethernet cable, and ye, they do block ports generally and only allow simple web browsing.

What college/complex is it?

Gort na Corribe in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Gort na Corribe in Galway

Is that a student apartment complex? Your best bet is to go into the Edu tab and find your college/uni and make a new thread.

You`ll surely get the information your looking for there, best of luck

• Advertisement

nuxxx wrote: »
    Is that a student apartment complex? Your best bet is to go into the Edu tab and find your college/uni and make a new thread.

You`ll surely get the information your looking for there, best of luck

It's appartments/townhouses. Thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Pretty sure they don't provide routers seeing as theres a sign saying where you can buy an ethernet cable.

I misread, thought the question was about eircom, who do supply a wifi router. If you have to go with them, they supply it.

Connect a wifi router to the Ethernet port and you'll have wireless in the apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

UPC have a student offer contract, it costs a little more a month but you'll get decent speeds and cap.

Advertisement