Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever visit Grangegorman Military Cemetery ?

• 25-08-2009 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

I was in Grangegorman Military Cemetery recently and I was glad to see the OPW keep it in good order ( from what I could see). I didn’t think there would be so many graves there . I was only there for an hour or so but I will go back some time and have a good look around . I wanted to pay my respects to John Hunt 9459 2nd Batt Royal Dublin Fusiliers . I got his 1915 star a while back . He was born in Dublin . Enlisted in the RDF before WW1 and lived with his wife and family in Beggers Bush Barracks . He landed in France 9/2/15 , was wounded and sent back to Dublin and died of his wounds RIP.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I brought a small class group up there a few years ago.
    Just letting them walk along the rows, seeing the ages of the guys taught them a multitude. All the graves with the date October 10th, 1918 had them puzzled.

They were full of questions when we returned to the classroom - exactly how you want them when you're about to teach them about WWI.

I think I heard somewhere that some of the lads from McKee help out with keeping it in good order. Nice little graveyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Is it the OPW of the CWGC who look after it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

As far as I'm aware its been the OPW who have maintained it from the start however It may be in someone else's hands now.Its one of the place's I would love to have a stroll around and pay my respects,another been Glencree and Cork's military cemetery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Its one of the place's I would love to have a stroll around and pay my respects,another been Glencree and Cork's military cemetery.

its a very peaceful place . i saw one man there who was visiting the grave of a relative who was killed in 1921 in dublin, he was attached to the castle and was a member of the military foot police. i have been to Glencree a couple of times and is well worth a visit as it is in a beautful part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 noelreilly

Hi. I visited Grangegorman last week. My great grandfather is buried there. its beautiful, and very well kept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

It's beautifully kept by the OPW.

And fyi: the Aussies and Kiwi's commemorate Anzac Day on 25 April every year with a Dawn ceremony at Grangegorman. Gives a bit of a different feel to see 150/200 people including veterans, relatives of veterans, veteran groups from the north etc. in a place which is usually empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭TOMP

Where exactly is it?

Any online database of the names of those interred there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

TOMP wrote: »
    Where exactly is it?

Any online database of the names of those interred there?

On Blackhorse Avenue, about 100 or 200 metres after McKee barracks, on the other side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cormacocomhrai

3 graves of interest in Grangegorman, with regard to the War of Independence, are Martin Doyle VC who later became an IRA contact within the Crown Forces, Brian Fergus Molloy who was one of those who attempted to infiltrate Michael Collins's inner circle and Donald Maclean/ McLean who was one of those killed on the morning of Bloody Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

arnhem44 wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware its been the OPW who have maintained it from the start however It may be in someone else's hands now.Its one of the place's I would love to have a stroll around and pay my respects,another been Glencree and Cork's military cemetery.

Where is Corks Military Cemetery?

• Advertisement
Advertisement