Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The ultimate 'What dog for me?'" thread

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. Just due to the number of "I want to get a puppy but don't know what breed will suit" threads that pop up here and, with Mod's permission, I wanted to start a thread where we can all post information and ask questions on specific breeds.

As well all know, a dog, like any pet, is a huge commitment and we all hate hearing stories of pooches who have been rehomed due to unsuitable living arrangements so, hopefully this'll give potential dog owners some insider info from people who have experience with certain breeds. Of course, a lot of doggy antics are down to the specific dog and not the breed but anything that can help with research can only be a good thing.

I'll start with my girl and make some categories but please feel free to expand on anything I may have overlooked.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Exercise: Moderate. Likes short bursts of activity several times a day rather than one big walk every evening. Very playful and will often curl up and fall asleep after 30 minutes of exercise or active playing.

Health: The CKC suffers from several known hereditary diseases including Syringomyelia and heart issues. Insurance is essential and someone who wishes to own a CKC should be completely aware of the signs to look for in puppies and adolescents and, where appropriate, as for health certificates for the parents and puppies. They can be prone to ear infections. All dogs need to be vaccinated and wormed.

Diet: They do well on standard small-breed food but love to snack. Obesity causes huge problems for Cavs, especially after neutering when they're prone to weight gain. A Cav will try anything to get a snack. Ours has been known to build little towers of stuff on the floor in order to reach the kitchen table. :D

Temperment: Typically, they do not display any aggression. Bred as a companion lapdog (and a bed warmer in old country houses!) they can be quite clingy and bond very well with owners. They're very loyal and are happy to sit quietly at feet, laps or on shouders!

Obedience: They're stubborn little gits but very clever and respond very well to reward-based training. A lot of Cavs enjoy agility-based games.

Shedding and grooming: Oh yes! Cavs have just one coat (ie, no undercoat) of fairly long hair and they shed quite a bit as well as moulting twice a year. Special care has to be given to ears, bums and underside to avoid tangles and clumps of matted hair.

Living arrangements: Due to their light coats, Cavs should not be kept outdoors at night all year round. They really enjoy their comforts and love nothing more than a couch, bed or person to stretch out on. Due to the fact that they're small and don't need constant exercise, they're suitable for apartments or houses with small gardens.

Children: CKCs are very good with children. They're a gentle breed and, once trained to not nip or jump as a pup, make brilliant companions for kids. However, due to the fact that Cavs are small and not very robust, they need to be supervised around small children- as would any dog.

Other: Due to their clingy nature, Cavs aren't suited to spending long periods of time on their own. They're a playful breed and need stimulation from people or other animals. Like any dog, they'll get destructive when bored and those little teeth can do a lot of damage.
    Because of the popularity of the breed in recent years, they're often heavily advertised on websites and in papers. As with all breeds, a potential owner needs to know what to look out for to avoid puppyfarms. www.ckcsrescue.com do a brilliant job in rehoming abandoned/rescued Cavs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

excellent thread they should sticky it,a thread like this could help people including me,well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

Shih Tzu

Exercise:
    Moderate. Likes short bursts of activity several times a day rather than one big walk every evening. Very playful and will often curl up and fall asleep after 30 minutes of exercise or active playing.

Health: The Shih Tzu suffers from several known hereditary diseases including portosystemic shunt of the liver and hip dysplasia. Insurance is essential and someone who wishes to own a Shih Tzu should be completely aware of the signs to look for in puppies and adolescents and, where appropriate, as for health certificates for the parents and puppies. They can be prone to eye problems such as eye ulcers so eyes need to be kept clean of mucus. All dogs need to be vaccinated and wormed.

Diet: They do well on standard small-breed food.

Temperment: The Shih Tzu is a friendly lap dog that at one time was bred to be a companion dog for Chinese royalty. They are not afraid to stand up for themselves. They tend to be sweet, playful, and trusting as well.

Obedience: They're stubborn little gits but very clever. They can be difficult to train.

Shedding and grooming: The traditional long silky glossy coat that reaches the floor requires daily brushing to avoid tangles. Although the long coat is beautiful, often the coat is clipped short to simplify care, in a "puppy clip". The Shih Tzu is widely considered to have a low-shedding coat and may be suitable for some allergy sufferers. (I myself have allergies to dog and cat hair, but have been fine with Shih Tzus)

Living arrangements: Shih Tzus are mainly indoor dogs and should not be kept outdoors at night all year round. They really enjoy their comforts and love nothing more than a couch, bed or person to stretch out on. Due to the fact that they're small and don't need constant exercise, they're suitable for apartments or houses with small gardens.

Children: Due to their small size, Shih Tzus are not really suitable for a home with very small children.

Other: Shih Tzus have been bred to be a companion dog, so aren't suited to spending long periods of time on their own. They're a playful breed and need stimulation from people or other animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

This is a very good idea although it could sound like just another dog breed directory. How about if people were to post some details about themselves and their lifestyle e.g. have very young children; live in apartment; their own level of fitness and exercise; don't want to spend too much time hooverng up after them etc. etc. and then people could offer suggestions for various breeds that might suit them.

Either way it's a really good idea as it's all about finding the best suitable match which will help to develop a lasting relationship between dog and owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Lhasa Apso

Exercise:
    I'd say moderate, obviously pups need a lot of exercise. But a short walk a day will do them plus some playing. My two (3yr old and 9month old) get a daily walk and usually play with each other a bit too. The younger one needs to be played with more, to use up her energy, but short bursts, like throwing and ball and getting her to fetch or just chasing. Too long a walk or too intense exercise will damage pups joints.

Health: They don't rely on eyesight a lot, they need their fringe and long eyelashes to protect their eyes. They are prone to eye infections/dry eye and even when going blind they don't show that it affects them much.
    Their eyes need daily cleaning.
    They can have sensitive skin, and foods/surroundings can cause itchy flaky skin. Some can develop kidney problems in old age. We had one live to around 14/15 (her life span was shortened) and she was blind in one eye, heart murmour and arthritis but you wouldn't know it she was a little trooper.

Diet: They *love* food, seriously, love food. Finding the right food is up to each dog, we use two different dried foods for our two. Decent dry food with a drop of cod liver oil/evening primrose oil does them good. With plenty of fresh water

Temperment: Apsos were originally bred as Tibetian warning dogs, for monks. They become protective of where they live and who they live with. They will bark to warn you when someone's coming, and they can bark if they're not overly fond of someone coming into your house.
    They like their space, but love attention too. Not particularly fond of young children. Have fantastic personalities, each one different. Like to play, like to rest and be petted. Love to stay around you and prefer to sleep close to you to protect you.

Obedience: Depends on if you have food or not! lol. They can be a little difficult to train, you need to be very strict and consistent in your methods. Using food to train is an option. But they can be very quick to pick up on things.

Shedding and grooming: They have a double coat, only the undercoat, which is soft, will shed out once a year, the outer coat, consisting of coarse outer guard hairs, does not shed. They need daily if not multi-daily grooming. You need to make sure you're not just brushing the top coat as the undercoat which is fine can knot quite easily. Their fringe needs to be long to help protect their eyes. So they would be fairly low shedding, depends on the cut too.

Living arrangements: Apsos like their comfort, like to curl up or stretch out in a basket, blanket/towel, or bed. They're really an indoor dog, though my youngest *loves* playing outside. But once they have outdoor access it's fine. They like naps and will sleep next to you on the couch or bed.

Children: Not overly fond of children, especially younger ones as they like their space, they do not like to be teased either.

Other: I think they need to have company, they don't like being on their own, they love being your shadow. They like to be involved in whatever you're doing, even if it's only to be in the room with you. They're protective and loyal and can be little nut cases :) I have two and had one before and really they're a wonderful dog (if you don't have young children) and can spend the time with them. They're playful and smart and can be cheeky, but if you're firm they're usually quite good. They do need daily grooming and eye cleaning, don't give them too many treats as they can get overweight very quickly. But they do become one of the family.
    We live in a bungalow with a decent back garden and they're quite happy with us. Youngest child in the house is 16 which is perfect, I don't really think they'd do well with children under say 8 or so as they do really like their own space. We walk them daily around the block which is loads for them, plus extra exercise for the pup by playing with her cuz she can be wired. They fall into routine very quickly so they remember when breakfast time is and will let you know if you're late!!

Advertisement