Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer recycling/charity

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

Hi folks,

Just a quick question, I've tried looking online for an answer but to no avail.
    Does anyone know if there is a charity in Cork that takes old computer/laptops?

Or even failing that, just somewhere I could drop them off to be be recycled?

Just that I've got some old equipment and want to put it to some kind of good use rather than dumping it in the bin.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

http://www.corkcity.ie/atoz/k/name,5112,en.html

Kinsale Road Landfill and Civic Amenity Site/Recycling Centre

Waste Electrical & Electronic Equipment (WEEE) will continue to be accepted free of charge.

I understand re-use is better than recycle though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 kevrr

Ok cool, thanks. Better then chucking it out i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

The charity Camara is setting up a drop off point in Cork at the moment, they take old PC's and refurbish them and send them to schools in Africa, instead of them being just dumped here etc - http://www.camaracork.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

enable ireland and ispcc take donated pcs. im sure most charities would. they refurb them and give them to their staff i believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 estell64

Hey guys..
    if you're not going to put your old computer in the dumpster, you have two choices reuse or recycle.If the device is in good working order, reuse is the better option.but when your device is not working well than recycle is the better choice. So all depend you what you want ..reuse or recycle.So there is a Link check out this it may be helpful for you.

recycling center

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ButtonyBoo

I found a link on the Dell Ireland website and they told me to drop my PC to the Rehab place on the Monaghan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Just a quick word of advice, if you're recycling/charity donating your old PC, it's best to take out the hard drive if you can get to it. This is where all your data is stored on your PC, and it's best to keep a hold of that, than let it fall into someone else's hands. ;)

Not saying people would use it, but think about all the things you've accessed, or ever saved on your computer, would you want a stranger having access to it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dts1

mimihops wrote: »
    The charity Camara is setting up a drop off point in Cork at the moment, they take old PC's and refurbish them and send them to schools in Africa, instead of them being just dumped here etc - http://www.camaracork.net

This web site doesn't work.
    Does anyone know if Camara actually set up in Cork or not after ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭disco biscuit

By the way have you an old laptop to give away in working order.I might be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

If it's in working order you can give it away on freecyle.org Cork group

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Just a quick word of advice, if you're recycling/charity donating your old PC, it's best to take out the hard drive if you can get to it. This is where all your data is stored on your PC, and it's best to keep a hold of that, than let it fall into someone else's hands. ;)

Not saying people would use it, but think about all the things you've accessed, or ever saved on your computer, would you want a stranger having access to it? :D
    +1
    For those that may not know, deleting a file using the standard delete command does not instantly delete the file. Instead it tells the computer that the file can be written over when you create/save new files.

If you're getting rid of an old computer you should either physically remove the hard drive or use software such as Eraser to repeatedly write over the files with random data (it could take many hours to erase an entire drive). Formatting the drive does not permanently erase data.

This article is a bit old but highlights the potential problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

take out the hard drive

Just to say if you do that no ordinary charity will take the computer. They don't have the time/skill nor interest in investing in buying a new HDD to sell it on.

A cleaner program as mentioned above is probably your best bet.

Advertisement