Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Starting A Philosophy Society In College

• 25-08-2009 4:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering if anyone had any tips. I'm planning on starting a philosophy society in college(though I'm in no rush, as it's just in conceptual stages), and was just wondering if anyone had any tips as to what it may feature.

So far my ideas are:

Books of the month.
    Discourse- discussions, debates etc on various areas/'schools' of philosophy.

I'm aware this is only two things, thus I am here for advice :D However I figured that the discourse/discussions(whatever you want to call it) would take up fair bit of time, I'm sure there's a great deal more that could be done...

Anyway, at the moment although I have the ideas, they are still very vague. I was just wondering if anybody could provide any tips/help/experience and so forth.

Many thanks :)

(also if anyone is wondering why I posted at 4:46am, I'm heading off to work :p)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Hi.

I have just finished a postgrad, and every friday we would get together and discuss a text. I suggests you keep it to short essays. and ask postgrads to come along, they will be familiar with the philosophers under discussion. It might be hard to twist their arm's at first, but it will be good for them too, both for experience and ideas. Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Offalycool wrote: »
    Hi.

I have just finished a postgrad, and every friday we would get together and discuss a text. I suggests you keep it to short essays. and ask postgrads to come along, they will be familiar with the philosophers under discussion. It might be hard to twist their arm's at first, but it will be good for them too, both for experience and ideas. Great idea.

Short essays, good idea. Michel de Montaigne comes to mind...the grandaddy of essays :p

I'll invite the postgrads alright, but I also wanted to allow people who have an interest in philosophy, but may not know that much on the topic, to still feel welcome. Don't want to scare anybody off... but I also don't want the more 'experienced' people to become totally blasé about it.

Thanks for the reply anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 martoman

Hello all,

I'd also be interested in this type of activity. I would really take pleasure in the prospect of discussion a philosophical topic on a weekly basis. I'm interested mainly in ethics and political philosophy, but also enjoy most branches of philosophy.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement