Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When to change oil

• 25-08-2009 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Got my new bike about 4 months ago. Had it's first service at 800km and the oild was changed then. Was told next service is at 6000km. The oil is still full, but should it be changed before the 6000km service? Also, is there anything else I should be looking for? It's at 4300km now.The chain is fine. Never needed to be tightened as it's large enough for a tank. Tyre pressure is also fine.

Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

First of all what bike is it ?

Check your owners manual, it will say how often to change the oil. It'll have a service interval chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭DonkeyRhubarb

Fazer 600 S2. Service interval is 6000km. Just wasn't sure if oil can get very dirty before it goes down. It's still full like, I just don't know what condition it's in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Fazer 600 S2. Service interval is 6000km. Just wasn't sure if oil can get very dirty before it goes down. It's still full like, I just don't know what condition it's in.
    Are you expecting the oil level to decrease as it gets older or something? That doesn't happen unless you have a leak or you're burning oil.

Changing the oil at 6000km will be fine. However, I'm fussy when it comes to oil so I try to change it every 3,000 / 4,000km (the shorter the intervals the better it is for your engine!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Lots of people insist on changing oil sooner than the service intervals. Every 2000 miles/3000km is not uncommon. Thats what I'll be doing with mine as its showing a bit of milage (55000). It only does the engine good to keep it with nice clean oil. If your getting the bike dealer serviced make sure they still change the oil when you leave it in. They may see relatively clean oil and lazily leave it. No harm to change the filters too -there not expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Loads of people change the oil between services.
    You might get a better answer here.
    Or a Fazer owners forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Good point made about the oil filter. My golden rule: ALWAYS change it when changing the oil! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

just while were on this subject and i dont have to start a new thread,,i recently got a another bike but the petrol tap is feiced on it and petrol has been getting into the bottom end wich isnt good so iv heard,,if i drain the oil out into a bucket would the petrol evaporate from the oil if i left it for a while,, or is the oil feiced all together and the bike needs new stuff,,i recon the oil is ruined but i live in hope someting could be done as it was only new oil this happened too and the bike didnt even drive 5 mile with it in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

just while were on this subject and i dont have to start a new thread,,i recently got a another bike but the petrol tap is feiced on it and petrol has been getting into the bottom end wich isnt good so iv heard,,if i drain the oil out into a bucket would the petrol evaporate from the oil if i left it for a while,, or is the oil feiced all together and the bike needs new stuff,,i recon the oil is ruined but i live in hope someting could be done as it was only new oil this happened too and the bike didnt even drive 5 mile with it in it

Change the oil and fix the problem.
    Oil is cheap enough.

Advertisement