Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Vista Cloning Software

• 25-08-2009 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have recently bought two new 750GB hard drives that I would like to put into RAID 1. I then want to use my existing hard drive to run Windows etc. The problem is that I have to make my existing hard drive, that has Windows Vista installed and a lot of other data and drivers on it, RAID ready and then re-install Windows.

From what I can gather, an easy way to do this is to clone an image of my hard drive to a DVD or CD, change my hard drive to RAID ready and then re-install the cloned image. Is this correct?

Can anyone recommend (preferably free, but not necessarily) hard disk cloning software, which means I won't have to do a fresh intall of Vista?

Or will I have to do a fresh install of Vista and then use the clone disk to re-install my drivers and other data?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

raid 1 is mirroring

any half decent hardware controller should be able to handle this on the fly
    as would any half decent software raid

which model of motherboard / software do you have ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I'm using an Asus P5Q-E motherboard and the Intel Matrix Storage RAID.

I've had a look on the Asus forums and to install a RAID set of hard drives plus another hard drive, all hard drives have to be set up in the BIOS as RAID drives, as opposed to having the RAID 1 drives set as RAID and the other hard drive set as IDE in the storage configuration.

There is an option on the motherboard that would allow me to install the hard drives on two particular SATA ports and use Drive Xpert (softwate RAID), but I have heard that software RAID isn't great and although Firmware RAID, such as the Intel Matrix Storage, isn't as good as true hardware RAID, it is still better than software RAID.

Advertisement