Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think I'm being ripped off!

• 25-08-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

My car recently failed its NCT on two what I would consider relatively small items. One of the CV boots is cut and needs to be replaced while the other needs to be secured. I brought it to a dealer in my area and was quoted over 400 to get it fixed. How much should this cost? By the way its a Citroen C5.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I had exactly the same problem 2 years ago with my last car and the NCT. I brought it too a backstreet garage and paid 250. The actual fix time is not long at all, its the investment in time to actually remove everything to get to the boot...a few hours in my cars case. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Seems about standard for a dealer price.

As Sizzler said you will save (as always) by going to a backstreet place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭JMcCR

I think you can get a boot now that goes on without removing the shaft from the hub? Kind of a wrap around thing. Check in a motor factors.

If it can be fixed like that its a half hour work.
    If not, it's a big job to replace a simple rubber part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

JMcCR is right, you can get a universal boot that can be put on with out having to remove the shaft. Not an ideal situation as the "correct" one would last longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

JMcCR wrote: »
    I think you can get a boot now that goes on without removing the shaft from the hub? Kind of a wrap around thing. Check in a motor factors.

If it can be fixed like that its a half hour work.
    If not, it's a big job to replace a simple rubber part.
    Thats what I did when my astra failed two and a half years ago. The job took me about an hour and the boot was less than 40 euros I forget exactly how much and it passed first time last February, so not alone a cheap job but a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Yosserh

Thanks a million for your responses!

Advertisement