Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avonmore River Wicklow - Any Tips?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I'll be camping down in Wicklow over the coming weekend and will have an oppurtunity to do a bit of fishing on the river.
    I've been told there's plenty of wild brown trout in the river so will be having a crack at them.

Will be using waggler as I'm a complete novice with the fly rod.

So what baits would be good, worms, maggots, casters? Should I fish on the bottom or nearer the top?
    Any advice appreciated lads, I've never targeted trout before, any I have had to hand were during pike or coarse sessions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

For trout worms are quite good, i'd set the depth close to the bottom or midway.
    Maggots also work a treat.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

last sunday ended up fishing on the estate of that well known nationalist Charles Stuart Parnell. Bought my ticket in Gala in Rathdrum for a fiver then paid another fiver to park inside the coillte run forestry. a very beautiful place.

or u can park outside for free and walk in.

or go to the bridge upriver of the meeting of the waters and climb over the wall. lots of nice pools around there.

gala shop in rathdrum. 5 for one day, tenner for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Cheers lads. Looking forward to it.
    Will also be bringing a fly rod after a few lessons from a mate this evening.

Advertisement