Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First US gaming addiction clinic opens

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Who would pay to be made stop playing games? From Gamespot:
    Gamespot wrote:
    Internet, game, and texting addicts can now receive 45-day treatment in rural detox clinic for $14,500; services include fitness program, psychotherapy, and "high adventure outings."

Back in the summer of 2005, an Internet addiction clinic opened in China, and by the following summer, a clinic opened in Amsterdam to treat video game addicts. Now, a similar clinic has recently opened its doors 13 miles away from Microsoft's headquarters in Redmond, Washington.

For $14,500--or the cost of an 80.6-year World of Warcraft monthly subscription--the reSTART Internet Addiction Recovery Program now provides a 45-day intensive care program for game, Internet, and texting addicts. Patients can receive psychotherapy, 12-step group counseling, "nutritional education," personalized fitness plans, and "high adventure outings" around the facility's rural forested landscape.

"The reSTART Internet Addiction Recovery Program is specifically oriented toward launching tech dependent youth and adults back into the real world," the clinic's online mission statement states. "Our individually tailored program is designed to assist participants with an Internet and/or computer-based behavioral addiction to break the cycle of dependency. Our 45-day abstinence-based recovery program exposes participants to a variety of activities and everyday life skills, which are often avoided or underdeveloped as a result of excessive ongoing computer, video game play, and Internet use."

Earlier this month, a study of 552 Americans by the US Center for Disease Control--conducted in the area around reSTART--found that those who game are more likely to be overweight and suffer mental health problems. In July, a British psychiatrist said he plans to assemble fellow therapists to enter the online game World of Warcraft to treat in-game addicts.
    For more on gaming addiction, read GameSpot's extensive feature on the subject.

I highlighted the most ironically stupid part. Why not hold an AA meeting during a bender in a pub?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

You appear to be hostile to the idea of other people seeking help for an addiction. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well the first line was a joke and the second was pointing out how ridiculous it is to try and treat someone for an addiction while they are partaking in the addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I would imagine that they are not trying to 'treat' people through Warcraft. Rather they contact them through a type of online intervention. It is like the social worker going down to the pub to talk the drinker into seeking counselling.

I would agree with you that it might not be the most effective way of going about things though.

Apologies that I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were saying the whole idea was stupid and that line was just the most stupid part of the article.

Gaming addictions are a new phenomenon. I have not doubt that like so many other things in life a tiny minority of people will be unable control themselves and seriously impact upon their lives and those around them. Such clinics will become more common, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

lol, yeah no worries. my point was that they phrase it in a way that makes it seem they're planning on treating people in-game. You're right that they're probably going to try and contact them through it, but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

'Web addict' death investigated
    Chinese officials are investigating the case of a teenager who was allegedly beaten to death at a camp designed to treat internet addiction.

China web addict 'beaten' at camp
    A teenage boy is in a serious condition after being repeatedly beaten at a boot camp to treat internet addicts in China, state media have reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They thought he was Soulstoned but the lock put it on the other fat kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

rizzla wrote: »
    Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start.
    R1+R2+L2+R2:▲▼◄►►◄▼▲

A cookie if you can tell me the game and the cheat. Ps1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Winners don't use cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

while normally I would joke about this, I am actually worried about the state of my apartment and the fact I keep forgetting to eat everytime I have time off and decide for a quick game or two...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Overheal wrote: »

A cookie if you can tell me the game and the cheat. Ps1

Tomb Raider?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Tomb Raider?

thats what i was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Overheal wrote: »