Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay tax on a one off job?Take this work?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

I'm confused. Like everyone I'm strapped for cash. Not much work, if any. Have been offered a job in a weeks time but not sure if I can take the work if I'm not registered to charge tax...and its not the type of work you would consider doing cash..not that I would ever do that:). So just wondering if I was to take the job how could I pay tax on it? Basically what do I need to do to get this work!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you would need to register as self employed with the revenue (you can do this even if you're an employee elsewhere), and then you just submit your tax return at the end of the year with the earnings from this job. Remember that you will be able to offset some expenses (fuel etc) against this job.

If it all possible, speak to an accountant and get some professional advice. Failing that, check out the business management forum here, which may help as well.

Unless the organisation you are doing work for has specific rules about only dealing with registered limited companies, then you can just invoice them for the work, and sort out the tax liability yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Agree with Eoin. You do the work now and take payment (even if you are PAYE) and then you ring/online revenue and fill out a form (form 11 I think) so that by Oct 31st 2010 you need to submit a return and pay tax for 2009.

All very easy to do online (even the returns) and revenue are very helpful if you call them.

Advertisement