Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT ireland home deal

• 25-08-2009 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

quick question-for BT ireland on their third home broadband deal onhttp://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml how much GB is download-able under 'fair usage'?

also are BT resellers of eircom? or do they operate independently?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jgburke

They have three different options with differnet usage allowances 10GB,30GB and unlimited, but subject to the fair usage policy which is not very clear.
    Word of warning I just moved to this service and instead of getting the 24MB promised ended up with a very slow 3MB connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

jgburke wrote: »
    They have three different options with differnet usage allowances 10GB,30GB and unlimited, but subject to the fair usage policy which is not very clear.
    Word of warning I just moved to this service and instead of getting the 24MB promised ended up with a very slow 3MB connection.

What broadband ISP did you have before BT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jgburke

I was on UTV before not too bad, but wanted to upgrade to faster speed so that is why I went for BT and did not end up with a faster speed.

jgburke wrote: »
    I was on UTV before not too bad, but wanted to upgrade to faster speed so that is why I went for BT and did not end up with a faster speed.

Can you get smart telcom or chorus ntl in your area? Are you in South Dublin by any chance?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    quick question-for BT ireland on their third home broadband deal onhttp://www.btireland.ie/AtHome_bb.shtml
    how much GB is download-able under 'fair usage'?

About 100gb of downloaded stuff is when they start to throttle you. They never cut off the access, just slow the speed right down to crawling for a week or so, then it'll go back to normal.

• Advertisement

jenizzle wrote: »
    About 100gb of downloaded stuff is when they start to throttle you. They never cut off the access, just slow the speed right down to crawling for a week or so, then it'll go back to normal.

100 GB a month? how do you know this for sure?

Because I've done it a few times :pac:

So 100 GB a month on a slow 3MB connection? hymm..not great but still better than the eircom home pro service i think.

my connection wasn't 3mb - I was signed up to the 24mb package, it ran on average at about 11mb though.

11MB @ 100GB a month..thats not too bad..only smart and upc can trump that.

I take it you live in Dublin?

Do BT care if you download a lot illegal stuff?

• Advertisement

I used BT for a year. The service was throttled twice or three times. Some months we wouldn't be near the "fair usage" cap, other times we would be hitting 80gb+. Only ever rang them once to confirm we were getting throttled - only thing that was mentioned to me was that, yes, we were getting throttled and to just calm the downloading for a week or so and normal service would be resumed.

I lived in Dun Laoghaire, apparently the house was right around the corner from the exchange, hence the nice speeds.

Yeah i did that 24MB checker thing on the website and it turns out im on the Dun laoghaire exchange too. Though i live in the Blackrock area so it might not be as fast. Sigh.

Advertisement