Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bineweed...grrr

Options
  • 25-08-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭

So I recently dugup two mouldy old tress out of the flowerbed in our backgarden. Pulled up about 4 miles of bineweed also:D

Turned over all the soil, sprayed everything with Roundup (bed, patio, any weeds left) Left it for a few days and planted up the bed with a variety of plants most of which I don't know the name of (mammy helped) but have a cool little tatra grass, salvia, fuscia, xmas tree, pansies, lavendar and a few others.

Anyway that was all about 2 months ago and I still spend about 5/10 mins a day pulling new bineweed shoots up, is there anyway to get rid of it?

Also get loads of little green dual leafed weeds everywhere, easy to pull up though but still time consuming. Have sprayed individual weeds kill them from time to time if they get to big before pulling them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, it's a b!tch alright. They say grow it up bamboo sticks and spray it with roundup. that way it takes the poison to the roots and it gets taken in and is an effective killer.

Failing that, keep pulling as you go. It will eventually work.

I don't have it, but a neighbour at the end of our garden has it and I can see it approaching the dividing hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

tampopo wrote: »
    I don't have it, but a neighbour at the end of our garden has it and I can see it approaching the dividing hedge.

Get the flamethrower out quick then!

it's horrible stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You can get a glyphosate gel which you paint on to as many leaves as possible but really, you've a long battle no matter what you do.

I suppose I should have left the bed for a week or two for the stuff to grow then spray it all again before planting it up. Ah well.

Hopefully winter will slow it down at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Hopefully winter will slow it down at least.

Y....No!

• Advertisement

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Y....No!

:eek:

Damn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mix Roundup (reduced dilution) with washing up liquid and apply with small paint brush to leaves and stems. Bindweed is extraordinarily difficult so leave to die, do not remove treated parts.

Bindweed will die back in winter so you haven't much time to get started!:eek:

Advertisement