Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Flash Options?

• 25-08-2009 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Kinda dipping my toe in the whole area of wireless/off camera flash and am currently looking at what options are available for wireless kits. The obvious choice seems to be the pocket wizard but not sure if I want to fork out that amount of money yet, bearing in mind I'm starting from scratch and may be looking to purchase the other bits and pieces (stands/umbrellas etc.)

I've seem cheaper alternatives out there just wondering are they any good? But on the other hand I don't mind forking out rather than compromise.

I have a very close contact who is a fashion designer and would have no problem letting me shoot some catalogue/modelling stuff for her. Anyway she is doing a big shoot (both indoor & outdoor) next Thursday and Friday so I've been allowed to tag along as an onlooker to see if I can pick up some tips. Have another contact in the music/recording industry who is constantly on to me about bands looking for some basic studio shots. So I (maybe) have some options of developing the area further, but i've been putting it off due to not have the right equipment.

Anyway's I have a Canon Speedlight 580Ex II as my flash starting point! Been looking around on www.strobist.com for some info as well. Apprecticate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I got a set of PT-04 triggers from ebay - $20 for 1 trigger & 1 receiver. I've had no problems using them either indoors or outdoors, they've fired every time. It's a standard hotshoe & I've used Canon & Nikon flash units.

Pocket Wizards or Skyports are probably better but so far I'm happy with what I have.

Although with a 580EXII you should be able to control other Canon flashes remotely with the 580 attached to you camera as a master.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

If I was was you I would get into it right away, from what your friends are saying there will be some work going for you and if you buy the good stuff you can pay it back pretty easily with the money earn from shooting bands.

As for the wireless trigger options..

Youve got:

Pocket Wizards
    Skyports
    Cybersyncs
    &
    Cactus Triggers(cheap ebay ones)

Any of those will do but the higher up the more reliable they get. Ive got pocket wizards and they have been some hassle with batteries and stuff so I would recommend you try out the skyports or Cactus triggers if your going to go cheap.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Thanks Peter, I may just go down the road of the cheap and cheerful for now, to practice with if nothing else.

I'm aware of using a second flash unit, but weighing up the cost of another flash +€300, plus infrared is a bit more limited that radio.

Thanks dazftw, I think I need my arse kicked a bit as these are genuine opportunites and I keep putting them on the long finger. Will check out the option you've mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You gotta spend a little money to make some money..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I tried the cheaper alternatives and at the end I went out and bought the Pocket Wizards (Bearing in mind I am a Pro) I got the Flex TTL5 models and they work all the time everytime and keep the TTL system with the camera so no flashes in manual.

Have a look at some of the Calumet brand radio triggers and the cheaper flashes (Sigma/Sunpak?) Other thing in Fashion/Bands would be handy to buy a flash bracket from Ebay (Quite cheap) to take the flash as far from the camera as possible, this option will keep you at one flash and is a much cheaper option than the multiple flash option.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions (this goes to anybody else too)

Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Thanks Keith appreciate that! I've seen a set of Cactus Triggers on ebay for ~€30 so might just give them them a try without damaging my pocket too much.

My mate has a huge bright airy floored attic space above his recording studio thats just begging to be converted to a photo studio so i think i'll get the ball rolling....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tony1000

Just a bit of advice on slave/flash triggers,from experience youre better off buying a decent set of triggers and spending the money on them.I know they can be expensive and a good set will set you back around 300-350 euro.
    There is a lot of cheap japanese triggers out there that will work,but will start to give trouble over time,trust me i know this.
    As the saying goes you pay for what you get,so please take my advice and invest in a decent set,best of luck.
    Tony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Hi Ike,
    The Elinchrom Skyports are a good reliable set ( Transmitter, Receiver, charger, selection of leads and case) for about €149 from most Dedicated photo dealers here ( Gunns, Berminghams, Conns & Barker Photographic). Pocket Wizard are great also- but much dearer. The New Pocket Wizards will allow you to do wireless TTL (Cool!) and the also have the advantage of remote triggering a camera, but for standard Flash triggering I think the Skyports are the best option!

Advertisement