Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 3Gs or Nokia N97

• 25-08-2009 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭

So I've just bricked my perfectly working iPhone 2g when trying to upgrade the firmware. I can't load anything to it because of an iTunes error (9) and it wont boot. After 5 hours of trying to find a fix, I gave up. It's gone :(

Now I'll have to get something of equal/better functionality. I mainly use the phone for texts (I love the iPhones chat-text format) and calls, some internet and as an easy to use calendar/reminder. I don't really care about games or music or apps. I only ever used about 3 gigs of the 8GB memory on the iPhone.

I was thinking about the N97 for quite a while, but I keep hearing of all the bugs. Not to mention the poor hardware spec. It seems like hardly an upgrade over the n95. Though the form factor, keyboard, camera flash, GPS and widgets appeal to me. But I know the 32GB would be wasted on me.

With the iPhone 3Gs I'd be going back to a familiar OS, with a better camera and better video (better quality video compression compared to the N97). Not that I use the camera too much, but there is always those impromptu times you wish you had a good one. Though no flash. No real proper GPS software. Better hardware specs than the N97, faster OS. Lack of blutooth and flash support. No background apps.

I don't know what to choose. The N97 appeals because it is different, with extra functionality. But €500 is a lot to spend, particularly for what you get. The iPhone is familiar and improves a lot on my old 2G.

Some input would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Sounds to me like you've already answered your own question; looks like you'd prefer the 3GS.

Personally, I think that you'd be seriously disappointed going from an iPhone to an N97. The N97 has a resistive touchscreen which, after using an iPhone for so long, will feel imprecise and awkward.

Have you had a look at any other phones like the HTC Hero?

As for there being no proper GPS software for the iPhone, that's not the case anymore. There are a good few GPS programs out now: Navigon, Tom Tom etc.

Advertisement