Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where should I rent in Dublin?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I am from Mullingar and i want to move to Dublin for work. Problem is i dont know Dublin at all so i dont even know where to start looking.

I want to rent a room in a house in Dublin West as this is prob the most convenient place for going home whatever weekends i choose. I will be using public transport.

So if you had the choice to live anywhere in Dublin West where would you choose and why ?

Thanks so much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

blondy555 wrote: »
    I am from Mullingar and i want to move to Dublin for work. Problem is i dont know Dublin at all so i dont even know where to start looking.

I want to rent a room in a house in Dublin West as this is prob the most convenient place for going home whatever weekends i choose. I will be using public transport.

So if you had the choice to live anywhere in Dublin West where would you choose and why ?

Thanks so much
    It's hard to say without knowing where you'll be working. Unless you're working in Dublin West it's probably not an ideal choice. Better to make the decision based on the length of your everyday commute rather than a trip you'll make only some weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

I wouldnt live in west Dublin at all. You'd be better off in north or south Dublin, preferably somewhere on the coast, along the dart line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Op, 2 things.

1. Where are you working? I recommend trying to live as close as possible to your work place.
    2. Will you be using Public Transport to get back to Mullingar? If you are than Dublin West is of little use. You would be better off being near Connolly Station/Bus Aras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 blondy555

Well i dont have a job yet. i need to move up there and look because im at nothing here online at home.My problem is i need to be back in Mullingar at 7pm every second friday for college so i thought if i lived in Dublin West that i could finish work at five get the commuter out and hop in my car. My driving isnt great so id be nervous in city centre. If my car was in Lucan or castleknock or somewhere i would just use it for hoping up and down to home and use public transport while going to work etc.

Is Dublin West a crap place to live?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    2. Will you be using Public Transport to get back to Mullingar? If you are than Dublin West is of little use. You would be better off being near Connolly Station/Bus Aras.

Mullingar is a continuation of the Maynooth train line that goes through Dublin 15 in West Dublin. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

GreaterDublinRailNetworkMap.JPG

The orange train line goes through West Dublin. There's loads of sharing accommodation near Coolmine Train Station in Dublin 15. There you can get a train into town, takes just over 20 mins to get to Connolly, and around 30 mins to get to Pearse.

Dublin West is a huge area, plenty of great spots, plenty of bad spots, it's far too vast to label as a good or bad area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Like anywhere there are good and bad spots; it's just that west Dublin has a higher ratio of bad spots than north or south Dublin, in my opinion. Certain parts of it are like the wild west, others like ghost-towns. I know there are always exceptions, but in general it just isnt somewhere I'd want to live.

The obviously better parts of it, like Castleknock, which you mentioned, will be much more expensive, even in these times. And certain parts of Lucan, which you also mentioned, practically have tumbleweed rolling down the streets.

If you're determined to live in west Dublin I think you should come back here looking for advice about particular areas/apartment blocks as you're viewing them. Good luck.

Thanks very much

I could really use peoples good advice as im clueless.

What about Clonsilla or castleknock? Or even Lucan?

Im open to suggestions on north or south locations near west dublin!!

Thanks very much

I could really use peoples good advice as im clueless.

What about Clonsilla or castleknock? Or even Lucan?

Look up clonsilla / carpenterstown / coolmine areas on daft and see what you think. They're all near the train and there will be hundreds to choose from.

I can't speak for Lucan, not sure how good transport in and out of town is.

Cathooo wrote: »
    Mullingar is a continuation of the Maynooth train line that goes through Dublin 15 in West Dublin. It wouldn't be a bad idea.

Fair enough. I had Lucan in my head when he said West Dublin.

OP, I amded my advise to - Live somewhere near the rail line to Mullingar.

ok say i go with that orange train line leading to the west, where is the best villiage to get in and out of town and have a descent social life-
    Clonsilla, Coolmine or castleknock.

I think that i should live in this area otherwise i may not get down to Westmeath for 7pm on a friday

• Advertisement

Well i dont have a job yet. i need to move up there and look because im at nothing here online at home.My problem is i need to be back in Mullingar at 7pm every second friday for college so i thought if i lived in Dublin West that i could finish work at five get the commuter out and hop in my car. My driving isnt great so id be nervous in city centre. If my car was in Lucan or castleknock or somewhere i would just use it for hoping up and down to home and use public transport while going to work etc.

On a personal level I'd have to agree with Seahorse. Given the choice I'd prefer to stay somewhere further east, preferably near to the coast on either side of the Liffey. However that's purely subjective - everyone will have their own most/least favourite parts of the city.

But on a practical level committing to accommodation before securing a job may not be a great idea. Firstly you'll have the financial outlay - you may be paying rent for some time before you secure a job. Secondly it might turn out that your job is at the opposite side of the city and you've committed yourself to a 2+ hour commute every day.

If you really need to find accommodation before a job, I'd advise somewhere close to the city centre. That way you have greater access to public transport and you're likely to cut down on your work commute time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

The OP has not stated where they are working in Dublin West. Its pointless pointing to areas to live in when there is chronic congestion by car (from home to work) in Dublin West(huge area) and especially they want that train to Mullingar by 7pm.!

So, where are you working in Dublin West OP?

i havent got a job yet! Im just trying to get my head around where i should base myself in Dublin. I am applying for jobs in Dublin but i think id have more of a chance of getting one if i was up there!! Im up and down registering with agencies and applying for jobs but i dont think its working this way!! I will have to go to college every second friday at 7pm so i dont want to be too far in the city!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Dublin West is fine but the problem is that if you get a job in a different part of the city travel will be a nightmare! To be on the train line makes most sense, but if you are going to drive then the best option would be Lucan and even Maynooth/Leixlip? Much closer to Mullingar and you can get the train in

Also, would you not consider commuting from Mullingar? Its an hour on the train and would be perfect if you could get a job in the city centre or near one of the stops.

Yeah i could just commute but im bored silly in the sticks!!!! And id rather not spend 3 hours a day commuting by car or train!!

ok say i go with that orange train line leading to the west, where is the best villiage to get in and out of town and have a descent social life-
    Clonsilla, Coolmine or castleknock.

I think that i should live in this area otherwise i may not get down to Westmeath for 7pm on a friday

I wouldn't say any of those towns have a decent social life unless you know people there. You'd most likely have to head to the city centre for the nightlife. There's a nightlink service running to those areas though.

Yeah i could just commute but im bored silly in the sticks!!!! And id rather not spend 3 hours a day commuting by car or train!!

The suburbs of West Dublin are not that exciting either unfortunatly. Plus you can easily spend 3 hours a day commuting from one part of Dublin to another.

I think you are really should for some place near the City Centre. Handy for the train home and plently and life about the place. Drumcondra prehaps?

If it turns out that your job and accommodation are at opposite sides of the city then you could easily find yourself commuting 3 hours a day around Dublin.

I really think it would be better to commute from Mullingar for interviews while looking for a job. When the job is secure you can look at choosing a suitable area to commute from. Also now is a comparatively busy time in the rental market (students going back to college) and rents look like they will continue on a downward spiral. By waiting you may end up paying less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Agree with above. Otherwise, you could look at areas like Kilmainham/Rialto/Inchicore, which are near the N4 for driviing, and also Heuston Stn for rail, but also near to the city centre on the Luas and busses for commuting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Jobs are thin on the ground at the moment- but accommodation is plentiful. I'd stay put in Mullingar- until I had a firm job offer- at which time I would base my accommodation requirements around where my job was. As pointed out above- getting stuck in traffic for 3 hours + around Dublin- esp. on a Friday evening- is far from unusual.

Forget about making any arrangements until you have a firm job offer- there are so many vacant properties in Dublin- you shouldn't have any difficulty looking at that time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement