Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD Airsoft Club/Society anyone interested?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭

I am coming into Trinity this year and I see they have a paintball society, i do airsofting regularly, just wondering is it worth my while starting an airsoft society? I want to get an idea of the numbers interested, so if interested or curious please post! :D

Interested in an Airsoft club/society? 7 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    Would definately join
    42% 3 votes
    Not bothered
    28% 2 votes
    No
    28% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭t0mm

I'm not sure about setting up societies but if a sports club is what you're looking at setting up then not much hope. You need to be an un-official club for 2 years, then you can apply to become an official club (meaning you will receive funding) and depending on space (there can only be 50 sports clubs) cost and demand then DUCAC will grant oficial status. Went through all this with the cycling/mountain biking club last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Soberts

that seems like alot of work, will b there for 5 years tho! I was looking at the paintballing society n they were saying that they were not allowed to b a sports club so they had to be a 'society'. How do you start an 'un official' club? Thanks for the reply by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭EGaffney

Most new sports clubs recently have in fact been recognised as societies under the aegis of the Central Societies Committee, because DUCAC is reluctant to recognise new clubs itself. You will need a petition of support from 50-100 students (I can't remember which), and you will need to prove that you will have a society that is different enough in its aims to justify a separate body from any other society, and you have enough people to organise it as a sustainable long-term society.

I suspect CSC will advise you to organise through the Paintball society, because there seems to be quite a bit of synergy.

EGaffney wrote: »
    Most new sports clubs recently have in fact been recognised as societies under the aegis of the Central Societies Committee, because DUCAC is reluctant to recognise new clubs itself. You will need a petition of support from 50-100 students (I can't remember which), and you will need to prove that you will have a society that is different enough in its aims to justify a separate body from any other society, and you have enough people to organise it as a sustainable long-term society.

I suspect CSC will advise you to organise through the Paintball society, because there seems to be quite a bit of synergy.
    Ok, looks like i hav my work cut out! would there b a problem with the guns at all, would you think? Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

You'd want to get support from the IAA as well I suspect, as well as support from staff members to help things along.

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote: »
    You'd want to get support from the IAA as well I suspect, as well as support from staff members to help things along.
    Hopefully the IAA will help along even tho I am not a member, if i remember correctly it is quite expensive to join up.

Probably it's best to ask them over on the Airsoft forum on here Soberts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

I was having this exact conversation with a friend the other day.

Going into first year this year, and if there was one I would definitely join.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I find your typing annoying. Why are you deliberately making it more difficult to understand your posts?

As for an Airsoft club, there's a fair few Trinity players, including lads in the IAA.

Ok well that sounds good, it might be possible to start one up then! I will start a pole so i can get an idea of numbers:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It would be a far better idea to ask on the Airsoft forum. Chances are if you're into Airsoft and go to trinity you'll read that forum, this forum has a much smaller userbase.

Boston wrote: »
    It would be a far better idea to ask on the Airsoft forum. Chances are if you're into Airsoft and go to trinity you'll read that forum, this forum has a much smaller userbase.
    Will do, thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanKnev

Great idea. Would definately be interested in joining an airsoft club at TCD. Recently became involved in it and love it! If you educate people as to what it actually is, youd have no problems getting the numbers. Im heading into year 2 of a postgrad so would be able to get alot of people on board from my department. Have you followed the idea up anymore since you posted this?

DanKnev wrote: »
    Great idea. Would definately be interested in joining an airsoft club at TCD. Recently became involved in it and love it! If you educate people as to what it actually is, youd have no problems getting the numbers. Im heading into year 2 of a postgrad so would be able to get alot of people on board from my department. Have you followed the idea up anymore since you posted this?
    I have followed up on this idea by posting on the airsoft thread, i have recieved alot of interest including, airsoft venues giving special rates for play, such as EUR2 per hour in HRTA! There has also been alot of interest in inter college matches, like a league for airsoft. I was also told that Trinity were actually starting an airsoft club this year, the sign up desk should be there during freshers week! It better be there because I cant wait to join!

Sounds great. Hopefully theyll have a stall set up on Freshers week and that the interest will be there for get a decent society put together. The inter-college competition sounds like a great idea and if we got the numbers together, I'm sure we'd have sites battling over our custom... Happy Days!

There was no stall during freshers week! Im not impressed:mad:

Nor am I- So I'm presuming theres no club at all this year?

Nor am I- So I'm presuming theres no club at all this year?
    I presume so.:mad:

Yeah it's bad form. Maybe an "unofficial" group could be looked at?

Yeah it's bad form. Maybe an "unofficial" group could be looked at?
    Maybe, I dunno what the rules are involving clubs etc. Does anyone know?

• Advertisement

Clubs have to be approved by DUCAC - Societies are easier to form.
    Unoffical groups are just that.
    Anyone know why it didn't happen this year? Did people graduate or just lose interest? If the structure remains from last year, it's not too late to get it running.

Advertisement