Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh how i wish my parents were bums and had been living off the state all their lives.

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Then i would probably be entitled to a ridiculous amount of social welfare payments. But no, because my parents actually worked hard and set up their own business i get nothing now that i cant find work.

What the **** does my parents income have to do with me getting social welfare? Im 23 yet MY PARENTS have to be means tested in order for MY entitlement to be assessed.

If my parents had been claiming off the state their entire lives id be entitled to everything under the sun but just because they set up their own business and paid huge amounts of taxes into the government im not entitled to anything. Its pure discrimination. This country just gets worse and worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

samsemtex wrote: »
    Its pure discrimination. This country just gets worse and worse.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Are you living with your partents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Do you parents still have there own business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Are you living with your partents?

Yes. I hope you arent attempting to say this should be relevant. Or that because my parents have lifted the burden from the state of paying for my rent that they should now be lumped with paying for all my expenses.

I just love how the stamps i paid while i worked to put myself through college count for absolutely nothing. Its a real touch of class.

Yes. I hope you arent attempting to say this should be relevant. Or that because my parents have lifted the burden from the state of paying for my rent that they should now be lumped with paying for all my expenses.

Of course its relevant. Someone who does not have the luxury of living with Mammy and Daddy are more in need of social welfare than you. You are in a very fortunate position.

By the way, have you actually done the means test yet or are you pissed that you have to do one at all?

• Advertisement

Of course its relevant. Someone who does not have the luxury of living with Mammy and Daddy are more in need of social welfare than you. You are in a very fortunate position.

By the way, have you actually done the means test yet or are you pissed that you have to do one at all?

Why the **** are they more entitled? Im 23, my parents shouldnt be expected to pay for me at all. Their income has nothing to do with what i should be entitled to.

And yes i am pissed off that i have to do this means test at all. Im 23, im not a child and being 23 doesnt qualify me for any benefits as a child/dependant so why should it disqualify me from getting my entitlement?

If i had moved out years ago and started claiming rent allowance id be costing the state an extra €150 a week so my parents are saving the state money by allowing me to live at home. Why should they have to pay for everything i do just because they are kind enough to leave me live here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sounds like you didnt have enough of stamps.

You're parents can afford to house and feed you, thats what the dole is for, the essentials.

Why the **** are they more entitled? Im 23, my parents shouldnt be expected to pay for me at all. Their income has nothing to do with what i should be entitled to.

And yes i am pissed off that i have to do this means test at all. Im 23, im not a child and being 23 doesnt qualify me for any benefits as a child/dependant so why should it disqualify me from getting my entitlement?

If i had moved out years ago and started claiming rent allowance id be costing the state an extra €150 a week so my parents are saving the state money by allowing me to live at home. Why should they have to pay for everything i do just because they are kind enough to leave me live here?

Why do you object to a means test? Thats the fairest way of doing things. The State are giving you money for nothing and you are moaning about a means test. I can't understand that. Fill in the forms. If you are entitled to it than great, if not be glad that you come from a wealthy family.

I presume you are just recently unemployed. In which case you would not be entitled to rent allowance over the past few years. You kind parents have saved you a lot of money over that time (€400 a month over 5 years = €24,000).

Also, I think its a bit disingenuous for you be calling other social welfare receivers 'bums' considered that are currently apply to be a 'bum' yourself.

gurramok wrote: »
    Sounds like you didnt have enough of stamps.

You're parents can afford to house and feed you, thats what the dole is for, the essentials.

I know a lad who funded a 5 week break to America off his dole payments, he lives at home, his parents dont work.

I had 38 stamps in 2007, i needed 39. I have loads of stamps over the years but i never had 39 in the one year which is what i needed.

Im just interested why you don't work in the ''Family Business''

• Advertisement

I just love how the stamps i paid while i worked to put myself through college count for absolutely nothing. Its a real touch of class.

That's the worst part aint it? When I went in I think I was the only person in the place who'd actually had a job before. I mean over the years I must have paid thousands in prsi but not enough stamps in the tax year cause I was in college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I know a lad who funded a 5 week break to America off his dole payments, he lives at home, his parents dont work.

I had 38 stamps in 2007, i needed 39. I have loads of stamps over the years but i never had 39 in the one year which is what i needed.

Which is why the social welfare bill has to be tackled as its far too high with freeloaders abusing it(that lad).

Why do you object to a means test? Thats the fairest way of doing things. The State are giving you money for nothing and you are moaning about a means test. I can't understand that. Fill in the forms. If you are entitled to it than great, if not be glad that you come from a wealthy family.

I presume you are just recently unemployed. In which case you would not be entitled to rent allowance over the past few years. You kind parents have saved you a lot of money over that time (€400 a month over 5 years = €24,000).

Also, I think its a bit disingenuous for you be calling other social welfare receivers 'bums' considered that are currently apply to be a 'bum' yourself.

Im not from a wealthy family, im from a family which is above the threshold. My parents also have a lot more expenses than most people and their business has fallen hugely this year compared to last year which is the year they would be means tested on.

As you say they saved me(and the government) money over the last few years and im very grateful for that. So they should be expected to pay for me forever because of that, should they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

oooooooooo the generalization BUMS,

I love it were all bums now because you cant get work or social right thanks for that.

BVB wrote: »
    Im just interested why you don't work in the ''Family Business''

My brother already works for them and they have had to cut him back to 3 days a week. Our employees have just been given amonths holidays because work has fallen off so much this year. That is why im not working for the family business, which let me make clear is quite small anyway and even when we were busy would struggle to sustain me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Im not from a wealthy family, im from a family which is above the threshold.

if your family were millionaires do you think you should get welfare if you were living at home?

if your parents business failed and they had to go on welfare, would they be "bums"?

its clear the main reason you cant get welfare is the fact that you did not have enough stamps, harsh and unlucky

Riskymove wrote: »
    if your family were millionaires do you think you should get welfare if you were living at home?

they arent and even if they were i dont necessarily disagree with it. If they were millionaires they would most likely be paying huge amounts of income tax to the government.

What if they parents are very tough and only believe in giving him/her shelter and nothing else? There are plenty of parents i know who dont give their kids a thing other than their living accommodation and make them pay for their share of ESB, gas etc regardless of their own income.

Riskymove wrote: »
    if your parents business failed and they had to go on welfare, would they be "bums"?

its clear the main reason you cant get welfare is the fact that you did not have enough stamps, harsh and unlucky

Good point and thanks for bringing it up. No they wouldnt be bums because my parents wouldnt even get welfare because they are self employed and being self employed in Ireland means you are left completely in the ****ter if things go wrong. Despite the fact that it is business people like them who bring in all the money into the economy and employ other people, etc they would get no support at all if the business failed.

And btw im not calling everyone on social welfare a bum but the fact is the ones who have done the least all their lives get the most from it.

they arent and even if they were i dont necessarily disagree with it. If they were millionaires they would most likely be paying huge amounts of income tax to the government.

What if they parents are very tough and only believe in giving him/her shelter and nothing else? There are plenty of parents i know who dont give their kids a thing and make them pay for their share of ESB, gas etc regardless of their own income.

so the richer your parents, the more someone should qualify for welfare?

well all I see on boards is how "bums" get everything, houses, holidays etc etc so maybe you should move out and you'll be on the gravy train....no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What the **** does my parents income have to do with me getting social welfare? Im 23 yet MY PARENTS have to be means tested in order for MY entitlement to be assessed.

If your parent were bums you wouldn't be going to college, more than likely you would be a bum :rolleyes:

Move out and then you won't have your parents means tested, there is always next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

fuck the bums

Good point and thanks for bringing it up. No they wouldnt be bums because my parents wouldnt even get welfare because they are self employed and being self employed in Ireland means you are left completely in the ****ter if things go wrong. Despite the fact that it is business people like them who bring in all the money into the economy and employ other people, etc they would get no support at all if the business failed.

1. theres a lot of protection for business owners if they go bust

2. they may not qualify for some welfare as they are self-employed but they would for other non-contributory schemes

3. you seem to fail to notice the irony that you are giving out about people on welfare when you yourself are trying to get welfare

there has to be some system of criteria otherwise it would be far worse than the present system. once there is criteria there will be those that fail, some who fail by a very small margin and it is harsh

most parents will provide food and shelter for their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Then i would probably be entitled to a ridiculous amount of social welfare payments. But no, because my parents actually worked hard and set up their own business i get nothing now that i cant find work.

Generalising and calling people BUMS isn't going to win anyone over to your way of thinking. Anyone I know on "ridiculous" long term welfare payments live in inner city flats complexes on the breadline. Hardly a comfortable way to exist.
    What the **** does my parents income have to do with me getting social welfare? Im 23 yet MY PARENTS have to be means tested in order for MY entitlement to be assessed. .

I agree with this, but thats the gov'ts fault, not the fault of the poor.

If my parents had been claiming off the state their entire lives id be entitled to everything under the sun but just because they set up their own business and paid huge amounts of taxes into the government im not entitled to anything. Its pure discrimination. This country just gets worse and worse.

That may be so, but you would still have to go through a means test.
    your parents have paid a lot in taxes over the years but you haven't, so what gives you the right to call people bums?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

At 23 your parents have no obligation to feed, cloth or provide a roof over your head anymore. They can choose to.

Get your father to write a strongly worded letter to the social welfare and refuse to provide his income details for assessment.

I was through this years ago and I got the dole then.

You're entitled to some dole... you will not get the full amount. Go to your community welfare officer in the mean time to get SWA payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

thats a bit crazy alright.
    but i suppose there are lots of people in your situation, who dont work, and live with mammy and daddy and would like to get the full entitlement.

Its a bull$hit setup. My wife was means tested lately, they took over 100 quid from my wifes payments. We have a large mortgage to pay on basically one wage, and about 100 euro now.

your situation could be worse.
    if you feel so bad move out get rent allowance and screw the fluckr$

I know nothing about Social welfare but could you apply for Jobseekers allowance?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

gerry28 wrote: »
    I was through this years ago and I got the dole then.

Your entitled to some dole... you will not get the full amount. Go to your community welfare officer in the mean time to get SWA payment.

If he is going back to college? Back to Education Scheme. But the OP is prob one of those people who started school at 5, did TY and left at 19 and is now in their final year of college. *

*not that I spent several more years in college then i should have but I think it is important to make some generalisations

Sorry I thought the OP was looking for something useful now that I read back the OP actually wants to live of the state :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

What if they parents are very tough and only believe in giving him/her shelter and nothing else? There are plenty of parents i know who dont give their kids a thing other than their living accommodation and make them pay for their share of ESB, gas etc regardless of their own income.

To be honest I think any parent that would provide a roof over the head of their adult child who wasn't entitled to any social welfare is hardly going to let that child starve.

Lots of people living with their parents contribute to rent, bills, food, washing, they can't support you indefinitely, it's called paying your way.

My brother left college a couple of years ago and at the time couldn't get a job in his area so he applied for social welfare. Because he lived with my parents he was means tested on their income and only got €54 a week. Parents were providing food and shelter. Everything else after that is a luxury despite what you may think. He survived. The dole is for needs, not wants.

• Advertisement

jimzy wrote: »
    thats a bit crazy alright.
    but i suppose there are lots of people in your situation, who dont work, and live with mammy and daddy and would like to get the full entitlement.

Its a bull$hit setup. My wife was means tested lately, they took over 100 quid from my wifes payments. We have a large mortgage to pay on basically one wage, and about 100 euro now.

your situation could be worse.
    if you feel so bad move out get rent allowance and screw the fluckr$

That was my plan but you see since June you now need to have been renting for 6months before you can get rent allowance. Since i havent been i cannot get rent allowance and hence cannot move out.

Advertisement