Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oh how i wish my parents were bums and had been living off the state all their lives.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Just a question on this, if say the OP's parents were on welfare long term and he was living at home, how would this affect his application and how much would he be entitled to?? (I have no idea by the way)

If his parents were long term unemployed he would be entitled to €204 pw.

I think the system is totally wrong, if the OP's parents are providing him with shelter and food how is that different from a person who is living with parents who are also long term unemployed??? are they both not getting food and shelter. You are considered an adult at 18, why are your parents expected to provide for you after this age???

I agree with the workfare also, umemployment should be given for 6 mts then halved, to make up the balance 2 days community service should be done. Also, the idea of rent allowance is very wrong to me. How can you justify a laybout family (we all know they are there so don't jump down my throat) living next door to a family who have to break their backs to keep a roof over their heads. How demoralising is it for the husband and wife going to work at 7am and getting home at 7pm, having little disposable income (esp after inceased taxes), living next to someone living on handouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 User21027

Personally i'm split. i see both points.

Having used the welfare when i was stuck over the years (betweenn jobs), as a single parent, i soon realised that i thought wrong of other single mothers.
    I thought they had kids to get money for nought. Yet when i was receiving it, i couldnt afford s**te on it. i took it all back. But i was keeping up car payments, so that took a massive chunk out of it, but still. Its not a comfortable existance on welfare.
    But when you see not one Labour TD has taken ANY paycut, the taoiseach is the biggest paid Gov leader in Europe, the multiple pensions TD's get, 40K salaries for TD's secretaries, 1.3 million spent on a tuck shop thats made of glass and melts the sweets inside, E voting, corrupt builders more recently that collapsed our banks- and that guy cant get the dole when he needs it- you can understand the bitterness.

But i do reckon that if you do 30 hrs a week on mimimum wage you get what? €270 a week. On the dole with one child i'd get €230. So some think- why work, pay for petrol, lunch, childminding out of it? Should it be reduced?

Rock - Hard Place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There are people out there who really dont deserve the benefits they get, but I believe this simply highlights the inadequacy of our S.W. system, rather then justify why somebody should be "entitled" to the state benefit.

I believe that state benefit should be the last port of call when you cannot afford to look after yourself in specific circumstances .

When times are good and the country has loads of money, of course we should invest as much as possible in vulnerable people and those struggling financially.

But in the current climate where we are struggling to make enough money to pay our bills as a country, the only people who receive state benefit should be those who need it most . . Im sorry, if the OP has been fairly means tested and their parents are able and happy to subsidise them while they are unemployed, I just don't see how the OP really needs the state benefit from the information that's been put forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Riskymove wrote: »
    1. theres a lot of protection for business owners if they go bust

Ho Ho Ho. You might not end up in debtors prison but there's not much in the way of protection. I don't know where you get that idea.
    2. they may not qualify for some welfare as they are self-employed but they would for other non-contributory schemes

Other non-contributory schemes? Like what? We all pay PRSI.
    3. you seem to fail to notice the irony that you are giving out about people on welfare when you yourself are trying to get welfare

I'm pretty much unemployed at the moment, and not claiming because I'm "self-employed". For me to sign on I would have to cease trading and sell my capital assets and basically have what would be close to an audit. I'd rather spend the time looking for work or posting here!!!;)

Similar happend to someone I know recently. And get this, he decided to tell them he was a heroin addict and the doors just opened and the red carpet was unfurled. My guess was the assessors were just afraid of their sh1te when he told them.

It's a harsh decision, but signing on the dole is a poverty trap anyway. Why don't you have a look at some of your folks business contacts and customers and hassle them for work.

Advertisement