Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

salaam sisters

• 25-08-2009 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

salaam. I converted to Islam ( alhamdullah) last year. Unfortunately my family don´t know and I have decided that it is time to tell them tomorrow inchallah. Has anyone been through this or have advice? I know it will be difficult as I have highly religious parents( Catholics). Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

well at the end of the day, its your decision to follow the path Allah has guided you to, you shouldnt care about how the non believers (even your parents) judge you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭irishconvert

well at the end of the day, its your decision to follow the path Allah has guided you to, you shouldnt care about how the non believers (even your parents) judge you.

Not a very helpful answer

salaam. I converted to Islam ( alhamdullah) last year. Unfortunately my family don´t know and I have decided that it is time to tell them tomorrow inchallah. Has anyone been through this or have advice? I know it will be difficult as I have highly religious parents( Catholics). Thank you

Wassalaam IrishMuslim.

I am an Irish convert myself, although I am a guy. Have your parents any idea you might have converted? I think the main point is to concentrate on the similarities between Islam and Christianity. Tell them about how we believe in the same God as them who created the earth and everythign in it. Tell them we believe in all the same prophets (Moses, Jesus, Abhrahem, etc). My parents are very moderate Catholics and they are still finding it difficult to accept and it's been over a year since I told them. Anticipate some of the questions they might ask and prepare your answers. And treat them with kindness and respect, even if they are not happy with your decision. Remember your parents are very important and it is an important teaching of Islam to be kind and respectful to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Irishmuslim

salaam Irish convert
    thank you very much. your response was very helpful and much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Sonic_exyouth

salaam Irish convert
    thank you very much. your response was very helpful and much appreciated.

You adressed this to the sisters.. can I presume you are Female?

The biggest misconceptions by Non-Muslims relates to Islams treatment of women.

My suggestion would be to bring your mother to your Mosque, and to get her introduced to any female leaders therein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

You adressed this to the sisters.. can I presume you are Female?

The biggest misconceptions by Non-Muslims relates to Islams treatment of women.

My suggestion would be to bring your mother to your Mosque, and to get her introduced to any female leaders therein.

Why the female leaders? Why not just any leader?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Why the female leaders? Why not just any leader?
    because of the misconceptions that westerners have of the treatment of women in islam...
    Did you even read the last post ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

Hi! I don't want to drag this off topic, but just wondering in Ireland are females permitted to worship your god in the same room as the males?

I only ask because I seem to recall seeing somewhere that there was segregation between males and females. Including different entrances to the mosques? I know there is a lot of variety within Islam, so just wondering is this flavour of Islam followed in Ireland? thanks!

Hi! I don't want to drag this off topic, but just wondering in Ireland are females permitted to worship your god in the same room as the males?

I only ask because I seem to recall seeing somewhere that there was segregation between males and females. Including different entrances to the mosques? I know there is a lot of variety within Islam, so just wondering is this flavour of Islam followed in Ireland? thanks!
    its allowed, they do it in saudi arabia, u just cant stand next to a woman, she has to stand behind you, but every country is different, its not allowed (well socially acceptable actully) in pakistan, its pretty much the same in ireland, its seprate rooms here, atleast in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

its allowed, they do it in saudi arabia, u just cant stand next to a woman, she has to stand behind you, but every country is different, its not allowed (well socially acceptable actully) in pakistan, its pretty much the same in ireland, its seprate rooms here, atleast in cork

Thanks for answering my question!

So is separating males and females into separate rooms a cultural thing? or is it part of Islam?

• Advertisement

Thanks for answering my question!

So is separating males and females into separate rooms a cultural thing? or is it part of Islam?

It is part of Islam. Free mixing of sexes is discouraged. Different people/cultures have different interpretations, that is why some mosques will have seperate enterances for men/women, i.e. total segregation, while others will only segregate while praying. The holy mosque in Makkah only requires segregation when the five daily prayers are taking place, at all other times men and women are allowed in the same areas. In saying this you would never go in close proximity to a member of the opposite sex you are not married or related to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Wa'salam.

Actions speak louder than words. I believe that, with time, your highly religious parents will see that in converting to Islam, you have, in actual fact, become a better Christian - just like they would want you to be.

Think about it.

benifa wrote: »
    Wa'salam.

Actions speak louder than words. I believe that, with time, your highly religious parents will see that in converting to Islam, you have, in actual fact, become a better Christian - just like they would want you to be.

Think about it.

I'm still waiting for my parents to see it that way, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,777 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    because of the misconceptions that westerners have of the treatment of women in islam...
    Did you even read the last post ?

So in order to show her mother that women in islamic society aren't treated badly be men, she should take her mother to a mosque and specifically introduce her to a woman? Would it not make more sense to introduce her to a male imam to show that the men in power in a mosque dont treat her badly?

you do not believe in the ''same'' God, but only in the ''one merciful God.''
    if you beleived in the ''same'' God, you'd have to beleive in Jesus.

you also do not beleive in the same prophets, as Jesus is not a prophet in catholism.
    only had to read this much to figure out you have no idea on what youre talking about, good day, and dont troll again.

*snip* (Hobbes)

i think your going a bit too far now with your youtube links i'll even go as far as saying youre here for some convert mongering, you need to keep your posts neutral and not attract anyone here to any particular religion, the information is there, if they want to join your religion, they will do it, you shouldnt pester anyone. and AFAIK both of your posts are against the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Stephentlig banned for one week and posts deleted. The charter is quite clear on what is and isn't allowed to be posted here.

The OP asked a question, the thread should only be continued within that context.

the OP hasnt posted in a long time, but on islamonline i found a good few articles that relate to non muslim parents http://search.islamonline.net/search-en/simresults.html?q=non+muslim+parents in regards as how you should treat them, what to do incase of their death, if you can inherit or if they can inherit from you etc

how to deal with a non muslim mother http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?cid=1119503544356&pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar%2FFatwaE%2FFatwaEAskTheScholar

Advertisement