Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loophole to get into Systems/Software courses if you didn't get the LC points

• 25-08-2009 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭

Thought this should be mentioned as it's perfectly legit, but people may not be aware of it... there's also no hope of the 'loophole' being closed any time in the near future as the whole infrastructure of 1st year computing would have to be changed....

OK, anyone interested in doing Database/Systems & Networking/Software at Sligo IT should be aware that in 1st year, all 3 courses are common, and then you branch off to your chosen course in 2nd year. The whole point of this is to allow people to change course if they decide that their original choice didn't suit them (which is a great idea imho)

Now, let's see how many points each of these courses are:
    SG136 Computing - Software Development 230

SG137 Computing - Systems and Networking 235

SG138 Computing - Database Management 145

So, for anyone that wants to do Software/S&N but is afraid they may not get the points, just choose Database Management on your CAO, and you've now got a perfectly legit way of getting into Software/S&N provided you got 145 points (well, for 2009 anyhow, I realise that it's too late for 2009 now) - then in 2nd year you change your course from Database ro your desired course

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I noticed this when I was going for it. Handy way to get into your desired course if you didn't get the points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is the kind of stuff career guidance teachers should be publicising. These kind of "loopholes" exist in many courses and between courses through out the country.

I know points are not an indicator of the difficulty of the course, just of its popularity (in general) however 145 is a relatively low LC score, if you barely scrapped it would you be "fit" for studying any of these courses? I would assume the course content to be pretty tough in all three.
    Theres nothing worse than struggling to get into a course, figuring you dont have enough behind you for the course then having to get out of it again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kippy wrote: »
    This is the kind of stuff career guidance teachers should be publicising. These kind of "loopholes" exist in many courses and between courses through out the country.

I know points are not an indicator of the difficulty of the course, just of its popularity (in general) however 145 is a relatively low LC score, if you barely scrapped it would you be "fit" for studying any of these courses? I would assume the course content to be pretty tough in all three.
    Theres nothing worse than struggling to get into a course, figuring you dont have enough behind you for the course then having to get out of it again.

Well for software development if you are good at maths then that would be an indicator that you may do well at this course. What I noticed though is that how you did in maths generally showed how you did in the rest of the course (even in the database and networking stream). People who were good at maths generally did very well and didn't struggle too much. The worse you were at maths though the more likely you were to have problems and just not understand things in other areas of the course.

So if you like maths and are good at maths then I wouldn't be put off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Maths is generally a good basis for the computer side of things all right.
    A 145 in leaving cert doing a difficult course would always worry me though. Its a fair step up in material and study time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I had people in my course (systems) who got double the points than me in the LC yet didn't make it past 2nd/3rd year (I'm just after getting a 1.1 result in Systems) - For a course like this i'm sorry to say that LC points have feckall bearing on how you'll do. I think the main thing with Systems (can't speak for software/database) is your interest in the core subject rather than good memory (imho (apart from maths) the LC is nothing but a memory test)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

Ok this is off topic but I was wondering what happened to the web design degree Sligo used to offer? I've accepted the Database degree but when I applied I was bearing in mind that I could switch to web design for year 2 if I decided that databases weren't for me..That choice seems to be gone now...

They may have cancelled it. No idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭karma403

It was taken off the CAO list for this year. I was just curious as to why.. Would have imagined that it would be a popular choice for students but maybe not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

AFAIK the Database course has gone to vacant places.

So it is possible to apply for this course through the CAOeven if you did not put it down as a choice initally, or if you have not applied to the CAO yet.

The web development course was cancelled due to numbers and may be relaunched as a level 7 for next year.

Also the 3 courses Databases, Systems and Networking and Software Development have a common first year with the Games course.

So it might not be 2 late this year if you want to apply for the databases and change into your prefered course in year 2.

No issue with changing.

Not a loophole as much as a supply and demand issue.

The fact a course goes to vacant places is not a reflection on the course, rather the demand for it.

Full list of available / vacant places from the CAO site. Also worth considering if you are a mature student as you can meet the admissions requirement by interview if you don't have the CAO points / subjects.

INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, SLIGO
    SG105 Business in Office Administration
    SG135 Business in Tourism
    SG137 Computing - Systems and Networking
    SG138 Computing - Database Management
    SG139 Financial Services
    SG232 Creative Design and Innovation
    SG532 Marketing with Languages
    SG533 Marketing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

hi any of ye know if the software development course has alot of practical work/exams or is it more theory based ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

There would be a lot of practical content on the programme.

Someone who has actually done the course might be better able to respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Well for software development if you are good at maths then that would be an indicator that you may do well at this course. What I noticed though is that how you did in maths generally showed how you did in the rest of the course (even in the database and networking stream). People who were good at maths generally did very well and didn't struggle too much. The worse you were at maths though the more likely you were to have problems and just not understand things in other areas of the course.

So if you like maths and are good at maths then I wouldn't be put off.

+1
    Lot of thinking on your feet for the practical subjects, and a lot of cramming the night before an exam in the others!
    Seres wrote: »
    hi any of ye know if the software development course has alot of practical work/exams or is it more theory based ?

A very good mixture of both. in first year for the "programming subject" 60% of our marks were for practical work (back in 04/05:rolleyes:) our continuous assessment was worth 70%, which was 7*10% exams during year. I think it was 1 written exam, 1 assignment, which was all writing code, and 5 class exams, again writing code. The final exam was worth 30%, half was written, half practical. I think that is what we had, it was nearly 5 years ago!

for the 3-4 years there, you had 6 subjects a year, 3 practical subjects and 3 theory/business subjects a year. In 3rd and 4th year your project is a subject, so its 4 practical ans 2 theory.

all in all, its a great course. 1st - 3rd year are fairly ok, IF YOU GO TO CLASS! 4th year is a different story though......:D work load doubles!

Sligo IT is also the place AlmightyCushion got that name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

thanks, frankcarty , just the detail i wanted :)

Advertisement