Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slip on moderator for a 22 lr

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭

I have purchased a remington 597 in 22 lr and i am looking to put a moderator on to it. However the end sight is very close and I dont want to loose it if I get the barrell threaded. I have read about "slip over types" but have no dealings with them

1. Can some one give me the name of a decent sound moderator that will slip over the barrell

2. Are they any good?

I attach a link so that you can see the remmy and the problem I have

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/rimfire_rifles/model_597/model_597.asp

Any help will be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Parker Hale [now defunct] used to do somthing for this.
    Called a screw thread adapter..There is somthing still out there in the uk for air rifles,that will work for.22 as well. Think it was the saddlery & gunroom.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a Webley mod on my Anschutz, it is made for Air rifles but works well with subs.
    I can't remember the name but it should come up with a search for webley mods.
    It clamps on with a delrin compression ring.
    This page has them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zaitsev

I have an Anschutz 1710 HB 22lr and obviously do not want to have it threaded but would like to use a Mod on it, CJH cannot open your link but would the type you have be suitable ??.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

zaitsev wrote: »
    I have an Anschutz 1710 HB 22lr and obviously do not want to have it threaded but would like to use a Mod on it, CJH cannot open your link but would the type you have be suitable ??.
    What dia. is your barrel? does the HB stand for heavy barrel? ie Bull barrel?
    If so you may be out of luck, this one does from 13-16mm dia.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

I got one of those adaptors on a speak-easy and as far as I remember I had to take off the end site. As soon as I get it back I'll let you know,gave it to a fella for a few days to eradicate "pickles" :):). That was over a year ago so as soon as I know I'll let you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Why not just get the gunsmith to move the sight back a few mill and reattach it to accommodate the threading?? I've seen some 10 22s like that although mine came factory threaded and has the front sight moved back slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Hibrion wrote: »
    Why not just get the gunsmith to move the sight back a few mill and reattach it to accommodate the threading?? I've seen some 10 22s like that although mine came factory threaded and has the front sight moved back slightly.

This is the correct way to do this but the thread pitch of the suppressor dictates how much the barrel needs to be shortend

By bringing back the rear sight the sight blade raises. Taking the same point of aim and your shot will be lower.

Depending on how far the sight is moved rearward it might end up that the rear sight cannot be adjusted enough to zero the rifle.

This is the correct way to do this but the thread pitch of the suppressor dictates how much the barrel needs to be shortend

By bringing back the rear sight the sight blade raises. Taking the same point of aim and your shot will be lower.

Depending on how far the sight is moved rearward it might end up that the rear sight cannot be adjusted enough to zero the rifle.

The best thing to do then would be to bring it to a gunsmith who would be able to advise as to whether or not this is an option. If its a case that it doesn't work you can always try after market sights which can be adjusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 gunshy

i had a 597 .22 lr threaded by ...tallaght rod and gun in dublin 2 yrs ago...50 euro ,no problem it took 2 days ,i mentioned the foresight problem and he showed me one he had done,simple he just reverses the sight by undoing the screw holding it and turns it around .im fairly fussy and it looks good.then he just 'threads' it with the extra length created.... it can be done no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

Hibrion wrote: »

do you know of any fella down the country(John Lambert?) that can do this with a 10/22, i was told before that it could be done but hadnt ever seen it.

• Advertisement

Try Walter in east coast dog and gun; http://www.eastcoastdogandgun.ie/. He's a good gunsmith, got him to manufacture parts that were unavailable for a shotgun before.

Advertisement