Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening in Adamstown?

Options
  • 25-08-2009 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just wondering what is happening in Adamstown at the moment. Is it powering ahead or has it been hit by the slump, like other developments?
    The Tribune had a report stating that some infrasctructural projects have stalled there. How is the house building going?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Adamstown is one big mess that'll take years and years to sort out, from what I can see. Apparently amenities will not be built until thousands more apartments are shifted, and how likely is that anytime soon?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

seahorse wrote: »
    Adamstown is one big mess that'll take years and years to sort out, from what I can see. Apparently amenities will not be built until thousands more apartments are shifted, and how likely is that anytime soon?

How likely is it to happen?
    Depends on how much they are willing to discount the units.
    At present reality has yet to sink in.......
    Adamstown is an urban mess that is going to take 2 decades to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Being up there is very strange, it's a complete ghost town most of the time.

I don't see it being finished for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

At least it has the train station, route 151 and some schools. Not sure about shops and other services though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote: »
    At least it has the train station, route 151 and some schools. Not sure about shops and other services though.

Train is only useful if you work around Heuston. If its in the city centre you still have a bit to go.

Havent used the 151 but doenst that go to Blanch?

Local rumour is the school has no money to open and most of the other schools in the area are full.

Adamstown was a good idea just done at the wrong place and wrong time.

I was up there a couple of weeks ago. still lots to do and in terms of finishing of estates etc and that wont be done any time soon

• Advertisement

The word is that the residents are petitioning South Dublin County Council to take the whole thing in charge- however, SDCC are not willing to do so- as the estates are considered unfinished, and the original checklists of things have not been touched by the Developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kearnsr wrote: »
    Havent used the 151 but doenst that go to Blanch?

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/151/

Adamstown >> 15mins >> Parkwest >> 15mins >> Drimnagh Rd. >> 15mins >> Dolphin's Barn >> 15mins >> Dame St. >> 10mins >> Burgh Quay >> 5mins >> East Rd. (Docklands)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i'm currently renting in Castlegate Adamstown and i'm actually surprised by some of the comments so i assume some of you are referring to the Paddocks, right? I've had no problems living there although i think a shop is sorely needed in the area. There's a quite a big difference between Castlegate and The Paddocks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Victor wrote: »
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/151/

Adamstown >> 15mins >> Parkwest >> 15mins >> Drimnagh Rd. >> 15mins >> Dolphin's Barn >> 15mins >> Dame St. >> 10mins >> Burgh Quay >> 5mins >> East Rd. (Docklands)

Thats a long trip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jacdaniel

Hi

My girlfriend and i are thinking about possibly renting in Adamstown in a couple of months when our current contract is up. Apartments look really nice in the Paddocks. We work in leixlip so i think we can get the train from adamstown to Hazelhatch. Her folks live in Clondalkin so we also need good transport links to Clondalkin and city centre, i know the 151 flies into town.

Is it a ghost town with no shops lol? or whats it like? anyone live up there have any feedback?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Himselfe

jacdaniel wrote: »
    Hi

My girlfriend and i are thinking about possibly renting in Adamstown in a couple of months when our current contract is up. Apartments look really nice in the Paddocks. We work in leixlip so i think we can get the train from adamstown to Hazelhatch. Her folks live in Clondalkin so we also need good transport links to Clondalkin and city centre, i know the 151 flies into town.

Is it a ghost town with no shops lol? or whats it like? anyone live up there have any feedback?

You do know that Hazelhatch Trainstation is nowhere near Liexlip, right? You're talking about 3 miles, minimum.

Himselfe wrote: »
    You do know that Hazelhatch Trainstation is nowhere near Liexlip, right? You're talking about 3 miles, minimum.

There is Louisa or Confey- however they're on the wrong line. Hazelhatch is the Celbridge station (despite its distance from Celbridge proper).

You really need to research this a bit better- Leixlip is on an entirely different train line.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

This area will complete in the next few years but it will end up as a strongly working class area with large percentages of social housing. The developers and banks are desperate to offload the land and properties to NAMA and central government/county council will see it as an ideal opportunity to reduce housing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Passed by it a few weeks back.

Looks like the tumbleweed salespeople will make a fortune there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ballymun part 2 imo.

irlrobins wrote: »
    Ballymun part 2 imo.

At least Ballymun has proximity to the city centre and its employment opportunities- the big problem with Adamstown- is its designed entirely as a dormer town- with insufficient facilities and amenities, and few if any employment opportunities in the environment. We have never had an equivalent to Adamstown in Ireland- and the EU Commission have brought delegations from new memberstates to view Adamstown (among other developments) to show them what happens when there is a complete breakdown in the planning process.

Even the local school there has been threatened with closure on 3 seperate occasions todate.......

On a related note- I hear the fight to not use Dublin 22 as a post code is ongoing (despite it being the reason Lucan village has lost its sorting office).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jacdaniel

Yeah i know were Hazelhatch is. i forgot to mention that we have a shuttle bus service that runs from Hazelhatch right up to the job.

But thanks for the feedback.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement