Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Firefox complete shíte or is there something that can be done about it?

• 25-08-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

I have been using it for a long time but have to say that after a while it goes to complete shít.

Gmail not opening, replying to messages taking fúcking forever - literally as I have to give up and switch to IE.

What does everyone think/know?

Firefox good or Firefox bad? 333 votes

Good
    0% 0 votes
    Bad
    70% 235 votes
    Good sometimes
    11% 39 votes
    Whatever Trevor...
    17% 59 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Google Chrome is the way forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭source

The more add-on's you put on the slower it gets, if you keep it simple it's fairly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

it gets worse because of all the additional extras you might have added on - toolbars etc

same with all browsers

to maintain performance dont add on extras and clean out cahce regularly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Opera also good + much faster. Try www.opera.com/next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Kurtza wrote: »
    Google Chrome is the way forward

What's the deal with google chrome?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I stopped using Firefox weeks ago, used it since it was launched before that, now I find ti to be extremely slow and error prone, started using chrome and while it's far from perfect it's a lot better than Firefox.

Just wish I could get an add blocker for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭tarbuck

Nobody using Internet Explorer anymore? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭ronano

Keep add ons to a minimum and google for how to guides to speed it up

I use firefox but tbh only use it for add ons probably just switch to chrome be faster/easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I use FF lots but since updating it facebook won't work on it anymore which is odd so I'm using IE8 and FF atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The Minefield release of FF is faster than Opera and Chrome. Still in alpha though so it can be buggy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Firefox is very prone to crashes/non responsive mishaps. It can be sped up tough, try googling it, there are some minor tweaks you can make, i remember i "stumble.com-upon" it a while back and once i followed wat was on the page it seemed to speed it all up a little.
    I still think firefox is the best for blocking pop-ups etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

It's ok, not the best. It can't handle very many extensions running I find otherwise it sucks a lot of memory (even with the various fixes that have come up). I don't like Google Chrome either. Might go back to IE. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I never get any trouble with Firefox anymore since upgrading to Vista.. weird huh?

+4 gigs of RAM helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I find firefox to be unreliable. Prone to crashes and unresponsivness. Chrome could be good in a few more iterations.

The Minefield release of FF is faster than Opera and Chrome. Still in alpha though so it can be buggy

Have you tried it against Opera 10 Release Candidate Here?
    While waiting for Firefox to open I click this version and bump, up it comes!
    Worth testing that version against the above link version of Opera.

At all times, I try and avoid IE 8 like trying to avoid a dose of the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Is there a way of turning off the 'most visited websites' option in chrome when I open a new tab?

Haven't used chrome in ages, I'm sure there's a way.. I'll give it another chance later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The correct answer is chrome.

Or Lynx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I just don't like Chrome, and Lynx is not really a modern browser.

I'm using FF 3.5.3 on Ubuntu and I haven't found it slow but it has crashed a few times on certain webpages. Definitely less stable than 3.0 but not slower, much faster in fact.

Google chrome ftw. Its miles ahead of firefox and IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭m3llowship

Mac user, always used FF. Not really a fan of Safari, but I have seen it recently and it has come a long way!

heard very good things about Chrome, and it does look very good too!

But for the moment I am sticking with FF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I'm quite happy with FF. Very rarely crashes on me, and is decently fast. A couple of fractions of a second doesn't make that much difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Just downloaded the opera 10.0 although it was nice no ABP was a let down,Also the "turbo mode" wasn't the best and as a result of compression the images looked crap

Now using minefield :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

On my shít PC Firefox was no use. If you went to Gmail and Facebook you'd have to restart it afterwards as the memory usage got too high (I had very few add ons). Chrome is absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The-Rigger wrote: »
    What's the deal with google chrome?

It's crap but it's by google so people think it's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

FF used to be quite good.

Opera and Chrome are both far better imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

I use FF lots but since updating it facebook won't work on it anymore which is odd so I'm using IE8 and FF atm.

Same thing has been happening to me and I thought it was my ISP but realised when I started using Chrome last night that it was Firefox...have used it for 4 years now...its a shame the latest release is ****e. So for now I will be using Chrome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

yea i used to use Firefox, had about one or two ad ons, it would take ages sometimes, opening and what not.... i switched to Chrome and find it much faster and better all round, except for the search function, probably just cos i am so used to firefox's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Safari FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Never have any problem with FF at all. IE is fcukin sh1te as is Safari. Opera is quiet good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Firefox + Plugins = Unbeatable.

Modern computers are only slow when their users are. (In both senses of the word)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'm liking IE 8 at the moment, but generally stick to Opera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Google chrome all the way, I had to open firefox the other day and it does this strange thing where it hangs for a few seconds and that happens at home and at work. While I wait for FF to wake up I open chrome and begin browsing.

FF takes up a quarter of your screen with pointless add ons while chrome is just a browser which is all I wanted in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

ScumLord wrote: »
    FF takes up a quarter of your screen with pointless add ons while chrome is just a browser which is all I wanted in the first place.

You mean the add ons that you put there yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Opera has been my homie for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

funkyflea wrote: »
    Is there a way of turning off the 'most visited websites' option in chrome when I open a new tab?

Haven't used chrome in ages, I'm sure there's a way.. I'll give it another chance later on.

There wasn't a way at the start but I think the newest version of Chrome lets you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Surprising number of people here happy with Fianna Fáil...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I've been using FF for years. Then I went to run it on Windows 7. Gmail brought it to a halt. Facebook nearly killed it.

But ultimately the problem was the Antivirus program I had, had installed a browser plugin which did not get along well with Gmail or Facebook scripts. Removed that and it ran slick again.

Firefox is whatever you want it to be. Frankly its the iPhone of browsers. Yes, I know how ironic that sounded.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Google chrome all the way, I had to open firefox the other day and it does this strange thing where it hangs for a few seconds and that happens at home and at work. While I wait for FF to wake up I open chrome and begin browsing.

Theres an app for that: http://nicht.untergeord.net/wordpress/index.php/2008/04/22/minimalists-firefox-%E2%80%93-gui-tweaks/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

I have noticed aswell that since I updated to 3.5.2 facebook and some other sites are quite buggy! I've always used it though so will ride it out til they come up with a solution. The thoughts of going back to IE *shudder*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Basic no-plugin Firefox may not be as good as Chrome but its huge and varied selection of plugins make its the best browser available.
    Until Chrome can offer plugins like AdBlock Plus, AutoPager, FoxMarks, DownThemAll & DownoadHelper, I'll be sticking with Firefox.

Yes the add ons I put there myself but everything begging to be part of your IE firefox browser, then some inbed themselfs in the browser and don't want to come back out again. I've tried minimalist themes for firefox but it's just allot of messing trying to get a browser like chrome, which is pointless since I have chrome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

You're all behind the times. It's Chrome 2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

When Firefox came out first it was the best browser but it has been going downhill over the last few months.
    At the start you had updates every 4-6 months ,now there seems to be a new update every week.
    The memory usage is getting out of all control ,Firefox often takes over my pc ,huge pc usage and huge memory usage,often over half a gig of memory.

...Firefox often takes over my pc, huge pc usage and huge memory usage, often over half a gig of memory.

There is seriously something wrong there maybe with your PC to be honest if thats the case!
    Yikes!

Confab wrote: »
    You're all behind the times. It's Chrome 2 now.
    cool hadn't heard of that, soon my pc will be full of only beta software.

And I already have it installed.

Biggins wrote: »
    There is seriously something wrong there maybe with your PC to be honest if thats the case!
    Yikes!

Not really. I've been using Firefox about 5 hours now, and its up around 400MB. Probably due to the "Open all closed tabs" option. But it's only 10% of my total RAM. Sounds about fair for a program I use a lot more than 10% of my time on.

mp3guy wrote: »
    Not really. I've been using Firefox about 5 hours now, and its up around 400MB. Probably due to the "Open all closed tabs" option. But it's only 10% of my total RAM. Sounds about fair for a program I use a lot more than 10% of my time on.

Norman requirements:
    Thats strange.
    • OS Compatibility: Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP or Windows Vista
    • 128 MB of RAM
    • 100 MB of free disk space

Source: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox3/Firefox_Requirements#System_Requirements.

I seriously think you might need to head over to the computing section for the tech-heads to have a look at that. They might be able to lower it.
    Maybe clearing out the cashe once in a while might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

ongarite wrote: »
    Until Chrome can offer plugins like AdBlock Plus, AutoPager, FoxMarks, DownThemAll & DownoadHelper, I'll be sticking with Firefox.

Also NoScript and Web of Trust, especially if you're using Windows.

Biggins wrote: »
    I seriously think you might need to head over to the computing section for the tech-heads to have a look at that.

Then I'd be talking to myself.

Performance is fine and I don't need my ram for anything else.

LD 50 wrote: »
    I'm quite happy with FF.
    super-rush wrote: »
    Never have any problem with FF at all.

This is why the country is in a mess.
    Overheal wrote: »
    I've been using FF for years.

I think you will find that they've been using you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

firefox is great imho. There are ways to speed it up if it is eating up too much RAM google is your friend :d

• Advertisement
Advertisement