Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death in the Afternoon-Hemingway

Options
  • 25-08-2009 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭

Started reading this book recently. Its an extraordinary piece of literature. Books are no longer wrote in this style. Was just wondering if anyone had opinions on it!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I haven't read that particular one yet, but I've read a few other Hemingway ones and I'm on the fence about him.

Some of his writing seems a bit, well all over the place, for want of a better word.

I read "To Have And Have Not" and I was lost. I could not figure out at all who was who and what was going on.

I also read "A Farewell To Arms" which I enjoyed a lot.

The impression I get with his writing, is it's like he's talking to someone rather than trying to write a book, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Yes it does seem like hes talking directly to someone In Death in the Afternoon. He is renowned for his short stories and this is where the technique I guess originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

ah, good taste OP!

this is one of my favourite ever books. Hemingway manages to capture the passion of the bullfight so well, its extraordinary. he makes the bullfight seem like an art........
    Hemingway does have a rather unique style of writing. His experiences of part of the lost generation probably account for much of this. Fiesta: The sun also rises is another favourite of mine, and i would recommend the all of the short storys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

ah, good taste OP!

this is one of my favourite ever books. Hemingway manages to capture the passion of the bullfight so well, its extraordinary. he makes the bullfight seem like an art........
    Hemingway does have a rather unique style of writing. His experiences of part of the lost generation probably account for much of this. Fiesta: The sun also rises is another favourite of mine, and i would recommend the all of the short storys!

He tells the story like no other. He is an all time great for sure!His knowledge of bull fighting is amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I'm planning to buy this on the weekend maybe, I hopes it don't disappoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ally2

I love his style of writing. It is completely bull**** free! There is another book of his called Green Hills of Africa where he talks about the great American writers in less than glowing terms and it's very funny to read. I also loved Fiesta.

There's another book of his about his life in Paris and the famous people he hung around with. It's called A Moveable Feast and has conversations and drinking sessions with F Scott Fitzgerald, Ford Maddox Ford, James Joyce and others. He's very honest about them all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

I've got this one at home. I keep meaning to read if but never quite got round to it yet. I read "The Old Man and the Sea" but didn't quite get it, much preferred the film and "For Whom the Bell Tolls" which I though was excellent.

Advertisement