Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lockers.

Options
  • 25-08-2009 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

According to the booklet that arrived in the post, theyre available, and they go relatively quickly, anyone able to elaborate a little?

Where are the best ones, how much are they, when should I try and get one. I dont have orientation until Wednesday, but if needs be I can make my way up earlier in the hope of getting a decent one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭dreamstar

Hi Fad,
    I never had a locker in UCD and managed perfect. Any lectures I was at I didn't need to bring books to so it was fine. Plus I only had 4 lectures max a day so I wasn't carrying much.
    A few of my friends got lockers and they were always giving out because it was such a waste of money as they were never used.
    So I'd say unless you are from the country and really need the locker, then I wouldn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

Ask at the services desk in whatever building you'll be located. They usually have a day for signing up sometime in the first or second week. They'll probably be able to tell you when it is this year. Get there in plenty of time, the queue can get long and the lockers go fast.
    As far as I know, you can't choose your locker, they just assign one to you. But if it's in a horrible area (mine was near the downstairs door of the arts building) and you ask nicely, they might reallocate. they gave me a new one after I found a used condom hanging on the lock of mine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Last year they were €15 and you got a fiver back at the end of the year when you gave the key back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dreamstar wrote: »
    I never had a locker in UCD and managed perfect. Any lectures I was at I didn't need to bring books to so it was fine. Plus I only had 4 lectures max a day so I wasn't carrying much.

I want/need somewhere to ditch a helmet and stuff (Lab coat/Goggles which I seem to need)
    Ask at the services desk in whatever building you'll be located. They usually have a day for signing up sometime in the first or second week. They'll probably be able to tell you when it is this year. Get there in plenty of time, the queue can get long and the lockers go fast.
    As far as I know, you can't choose your locker, they just assign one to you. But if it's in a horrible area (mine was near the downstairs door of the arts building) and you ask nicely, they might reallocate. they gave me a new one after I found a used condom hanging on the lock of mine :eek:

Not entirely sure which building I'll be in.......

I'll look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cats-pyjamas

Fad wrote: »
    Not entirely sure which building I'll be in.......

Don't worry, they don't give out the lockers on day 1. Give yourself a couple of days, hopefully by then you'll have figured out where most of your classes are, and get a locker in that building :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 n7sen

I had 2 lockers.One for books,other for my sports bag.Both in the same building.
    Last year they were €15 and you got a fiver back at the end of the year when you gave the key back.
    I got tenner back for each locker:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The lockers don't run out quickly at all. They will be available all year

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You can't just get any lockers you like e.g. the ones in Engineering are for Engineering students only, and they do check. Civil Engineering lockers in Newstead are even more restricted.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

Can you share a locker with a friend? Like there's no random one locker per student rule or anything is there? I don't wanna get a locker and then end up not using it, but I don't wanna not get one and then end up regretting it later either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

sponge-97 wrote: »
    Can you share a locker with a friend? Like there's no random one locker per student rule or anything is there? I don't wanna get a locker and then end up not using it, but I don't wanna not get one and then end up regretting it later either.

Yeah thats no problem but you only get 1 key, You go up to the student desk and ask to borrow the spare at any time, just remember to drop it back to them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 sponge-97

Yeah thats no problem but you only get 1 key, You go up to the student desk and ask to borrow the spare at any time, just remember to drop it back to them

Thanks! But I think I will get my own locker anyway, you know sports equip, jackets etc!

Advertisement