Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

team question

Options
  • 25-08-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi All, a few mates and myself were thinking of starting a team. I asked around and had some interest. The only thing is some people who replied were around 16. Im just wondering is this a good idea as we are all in our mid 20s should we let a 16 year old on the team. It wouldnt be so much an issue apart from the fact that ALL skirmish sites are a good bit away and would require trips for the day. I dont know if this sound overly cautous but i was just wondering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Phractal

Well if his/her parents are ok with it it should be grand. Where you lot based?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xxboylarzxx

there isnt a big age gap there im 16!and i wouldnt have a problem playing with older people!

but if i was you i would talk to the parents and make sure they are aloud,,i doubt they will have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Toherinator

I play with the R.A.T.S and am 23 myself..... there is every age from the youngest maybe 15 16 and the oldest been 35 40 not really sure, everybody is treated the same and we all organise where going the younger lads just grab lifts of who ever drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭mle1324

On my team the youngest is 14 and the oldest is like 46.
    But thats just us,we dont really care about age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭Dread-Lock

I don't think he has anything against the younger lads being on the team. I think hes more worried about the fact that he would have to give them lifts to the sites and would he be held responsible if they did anything stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Dread-Lock wrote: »
    I don't think he has anything against the younger lads being on the team. I think hes more worried about the fact that he would have to give them lifts to the sites and would he be held responsible if they did anything stupid.
    well said dread,i think you are bang on the button,no team want to get a bad name for themselfs,yet sayin that i played aganst atf and the rats before and they are good teams that are fair,its not an issue of age,more of matruetiy

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭xxboylarzxx

with me and my friends we dont mess around!we always take our hits even if we are in doubt.where would the sport be if people never took hits???I cant speak for every young person who plays,but the majority dont mess around!lets face it if your messing around you could end up with a broken neck or leg ,i dont think anyone whants that?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭whitetigerkungf

the fact that someone is 16 or whatever is not the issue as some have spotted, or even them acting the [EMAIL="c@ck"]c@ck[/EMAIL] on a site. anyone of any age can do that. Im just not sure we want the responsibility of someone of that age if anything happened. At the end of the day if we took a 16 year old or 14 year old off, we would be responsible for them till we got them home. Maybe im being to cautious i was just wondering what you guys think. We are hopefully setting up around Thurles so nearly all skirmish sites are a good distance away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

the fact that someone is 16 or whatever is not the issue as some have spotted, or even them acting the [EMAIL="c@ck"]c@ck[/EMAIL] on a site. anyone of any age can do that. Im just not sure we want the responsibility of someone of that age if anything happened. At the end of the day if we took a 16 year old or 14 year old off, we would be responsible for them till we got them home. Maybe im being to cautious i was just wondering what you guys think. We are hopefully setting up around Thurles so nearly all skirmish sites are a good distance away.

It's up to yourselves, but you'd be well within your rights not to let them on your team if you wished. Fact is, if you take a minor airsofting for the day you are in 'loco parentis' i.e. you're responsible for them, and it's a huge responsibility, no matter how mature etc they are.

The Contractors have a strict over 18's policy, as do a number of other teams, I have 'nuff respec' for teams with people under 18 on them, and I have nothing against younger players. But our over 18's policy means we don't need to worry about over nighters, trips abroad, sinking a few cold ones after a days skirmishing, or telling dirty jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭whitetigerkungf

thanks for the replies, i think we'll go over 18's it cuts out the hassle and alows everyone go for a few drinks etc afterwords

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is alot of questions put up about teams and I think the point of it is missed.

The idea of a team is that it is a tight knit bunch of players. The benefits of playing in a team, be it good or not, consistently week in week out, is you just have reliability. In a skirmish I have to worry about my flanks, my rear, cause more often or not players will go on their own and leave you exposed.

But when I play with my team, I can just focus all my attention on my job, mowing people down in front of me, covering a certain arc, and not worry bout anything else, cause I know there is someone there doing their job, and they are going to bust their balls doing it.

But its also something more meaningful, you have to get along. My team are all good mates. We have varying ages, but all have the same driven interest. A die hard passion for airsoft, drinking, laughs and similar movie tastes etc.

This in turn helps you gel and bond as a team, you dont feel bad about saying **** straight, theres no beating around the bush, and it makes things better.

In time after hours of gametime you'll naturally become a stronger team. Youll notice your weakesness and address them. At this point you might see a player who will fix your problems, and you might ask him to join.

A team is not you grabbing 5 randomers and trying to gel, there has to be a core, usually mates or regular players on a site. You move from there slowly. You dont immediatly all buy the same gun, camo etc, that comes in time. As do your team numbers.

I always say, start small and upscale, not big and downscale and its the same with everything. Start small, gel together and become an effective fighting force, from there when you feel you need more dimensions to the team, then you go recruit.

The Stray dogs were always a small group of 5 lads who became gelled and an effective fighting force and are a formidable opponent.

Advertisement