Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Annoying neighbours

• 25-08-2009 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Recently one of our former neighbours rented his house out to a number of people. On a normal day they have about five cars parked around their house. However on many evenings and at the weekend when their friends call there could be about 12 to 20 cars parked which means its very congested for everyone else. They dont communicate with anyone and are a bit intimidating because there are so many of them. Anyone any ideas as to what would be the best thing to do without creating a bigger problem between them and the residents?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

Don't think there's much you can do about this to be honest unless they are parking in an illegal manner i.e. blocking a driveway!

Most people have the common courtesy to park outside their own homes leaving neighbours spaces free.

Giving the benefit of the doubt if no-one's said anything maybe they don't realise there's a problem.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cushla

If you were friendly with your former neighbour you could try saying something to him. Like Claregirl said, don't think their's a lot you can do.
    Do you anyone with some pigeons you could borrow? The amount of sh*t they do would put me off calling to mates! At least they're not being noisey,That's more annoying believe me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭drunken_munky52

Consider approaching the annoying neighbor in a friendly manner. Invite him or her over for coffee, and attempt to discuss your complaint in a gentle way. In some cases, the person may not even be aware that his habits are bothersome.

The best way to approach this type of person is to avoid the heat of the moment confrontation. Don’t storm over to the house while angry and while or while the person is drinking.

Problem neighbors can sometimes be dangerous, and you don’t want to find yourself in the middle of a physical altercation. You might approach the annoying neighbor at another time to ask for some consideration.

You may also find that you have no choice but to call the police if the problems persist. This won’t help your relationship with them, so you might consider making the report anonymously. However, it may help quiet things down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

You may also find that you have no choice but to call the police if the problems persist. This won’t help your relationship with them, so you might consider making the report anonymously. However, it may help quiet things down.

That may be a bit extreme! I doubt the Gardaí would be interested in a row over parking:rolleyes:

Unless there's hatchets involved:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Throw a hand grenade into his front room. This will not only reduce the number of cars parked in the area in future, but also increase the number of Gardai in the area helping to stamp out any further anti social behavior on the part of your pesky neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Teadrinker

Take your pick

It's

1. Drugs
    2. A brothel
    3. Both of the above

In any eventuality, stop acting the fool with posts like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭masalbeagdubh

Acting the fool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

In fairness your only complaint is that there are a lot cars around. As long as they are not causing a hazard or problem by blocking people, there really isn't anything you can or should do. It is there right to have friends around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

My family had the same problem. Guys with like 6/7 cars parked outsid and it became extremely annoying. Especially for me, since i couldnt kick a ball on the road without being really careful not to hit any cars (lived in an estate so we were fairly on top of each other).
    So, we moved.
    Truth!

Acting the fool?

So the drugs and/or brothel possibility is no surprise to you then?

Do you think those possibilities would come as a surprise to your former neighbour whose concern seems to be continuing to get the rent money without upsetting the neighbours rather than ascertaining if his/her property is being used for criminal purposes?

We all know that the rental market at the moment is such that some people are leasing houses to tenants without the usual references etc., but there is still a responsibility to ensure that one's property is not being used for criminality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I rented out a house recently to a "couple with a baby". In fact there are 3 adults and about 4 children living there now. I contacted the tenant and they assured me there would be no trouble /noise , I was frustrated and contacted the auctioneer who rented the property for me and basically it will now cost me to get them out and the law is very much on the dwellers side.
    I decided to let it go (also need the money) and monitor the situation - there seems to be no trouble yet so touch wood.
    My point is - don't always blame the landlord as I got hoodwinked a bit here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

buck65 wrote: »
    I rented out a house recently to a "couple with a baby". In fact there are 3 adults and about 4 children living there now. I contacted the tenant and they assured me there would be no trouble /noise , I was frustrated and contacted the auctioneer who rented the property for me and basically it will now cost me to get them out and the law is very much on the dwellers side.
    I decided to let it go (also need the money) and monitor the situation - there seems to be no trouble yet so touch wood.
    My point is - don't always blame the landlord as I got hoodwinked a bit here.

Where is the problem? And why are you frustated? No trouble/noise?
    And why do you want them out? And why would it cost yo? Very generous of you to let it go and to touch wood. :eek:

To be honest it's good that the law is very much on the tenants (dwellers???? Is your place just a dump?) side. Some Irish landlords like to act the english ascendency - better than their previous masters ... innit?

Yes, you need the money, and better get used to it. Tenants can choose, ye know.

And besides, people are not singular persons. They do have family, friends and in general a social life. And life usually never stops at "couple with baby".

Gosh, I really didn't know the likes of you still exist!

I hope your tenants find a better place and landlord. And that you dwell (!!!) on your investment mortgage! :P

I'll tell you why - because they signed a contract claiming there would be 3 people living in the house now there are 7 (at least) -thought it would be obvious. Basically they rented the property on false pretences - see?

palaver wrote: »
    Where is the problem? And why are you frustated? No trouble/noise?
    And why do you want them out? And why would it cost yo? Very generous of you to let it go and to touch wood. :eek:

To be honest it's good that the law is very much on the tenants (dwellers???? Is your place just a dump?) side. Some Irish landlords like to act the english ascendency - better than their previous masters ... innit?

Yes, you need the money, and better get used to it. Tenants can choose, ye know.

And besides, people are not singular persons. They do have family, friends and in general a social life. And life usually never stops at "couple with baby".

Gosh, I really didn't know the likes of you still exist!

I hope your tenants find a better place and landlord. And that you dwell (!!!) on your investment mortgage! :P

With respect, you're not from Ireland, right? Are there no Tenancy Agreements where you come from or is Europe just one big happy old squat where renting is concerned??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NiamhK

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to a problem I'm having in my neighbourhood and how to resolve it?

A couple of months back a few of the houses in my neighbourhood were rented out to people whom obviously have just moved out of their parents homes 'cos they seem to think every night is party night. This doesn't bother me too much, screaming and shouting drunk up the road at 3 in the morning is beginning to get grating alright but I try and squash my pillow on my head!

The disturbing think is the amount of 'boy racers'. Now don't get me wrong I don't mean young male car enthusiasts/modifiers. I mean morons who think drink driving from 2 to 5 in morning while doing handbreak turns around the housing estate is the coolest thing ever. At this stage it's getting worrying because they seem to meet up the road at the garage and they can be heard racing up and down the road all night. Some innocent person driving to/from work is going to meet one of these morons coming against them at high speed with devastating consequences.

What can I do? The neighbourhood used to be a quiet young family orientated estate but a few idiots are causing alot of people restless nights. I have called the guards on a number of occasions and so have other people I know. I also know of people who have gone to the station to make a formal complaint, give the license plate numbers and the houses they are living in but nothing seems to be done. When the guards are rang between 2 and 5 in the morning they normally arrive at half 8 to drive through the neighbourhood when these lads are tucked up in bed and the rest of us are sleepily getting ready to leave for work.

Can anyone suggest what steps can be taken before someone gets seriously hurt? I have witnessed lads falling out of one car and stumbling into the drivers side of another car and taking off at high speeds down the road!

On a side note, was there some law brought in or being brought in regarding the noise emmissions from cars, I don't know what these guys have done to their exhaust but why on earth would you want your crappy Corsa sounding that bloody loud??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Teadrinker wrote: »
    With respect, you're not from Ireland, right? Are there no Tenancy Agreements where you come from or is Europe just one big happy old squat where renting is concerned??

You mean if my passport's not green I have to shut up unless I praise the hundredthousand welcomes? Sorry mate, after 12 taxpaying years in this country I won't.

With respect, you don't know much about Europe beyond the shores of Ireland, right?

In continental Europe, where people mostly rent, there are actually Tenancy Agreements. Proper ones. The rent is more or less fixed by law, landlords have to have very good reasons to get rid of tenants and have to prove it and there are contracts which see to it that, among other things, privacy is warranted. Tenants are allowed to have more than one child, to have friends and relations around and to socialize. In Europe people rent longterm and see and treat the rented property as their home. Landlords have to respect it and see to it that the property is well looked after and in a decent condition. Not like here where landlords can let any old dump for an outrageous rent just to make money.

Compared to Ireland Europe is indeed "one big happy old squat", as you put it in your derogatory way.

palaver wrote: »
    You mean if my passport's not green I have to shut up unless I praise the hundredthousand welcomes? Sorry mate, after 12 taxpaying years in this country I won't.

With respect, you don't know much about Europe beyond the shores of Ireland, right?

In continental Europe, where people mostly rent, there are actually Tenancy Agreements. Proper ones. The rent is more or less fixed by law, landlords have to have very good reasons to get rid of tenants and have to prove it and there are contracts which see to it that, among other things, privacy is warranted. Tenants are allowed to have more than one child, to have friends and relations around and to socialize. In Europe people rent longterm and see and treat the rented property as their home. Landlords have to respect it and see to it that the property is well looked after and in a decent condition. Not like here where landlords can let any old dump for an outrageous rent just to make money.

Compared to Ireland Europe is indeed "one big happy old squat", as you put it in your derogatory way.

I couldn't give a flying damn what colour your passport is!

Now, like, as you wrote about continental Europe, in Ireland also there are Tenancy Agreements and the poster has complained about the terms of the agreement he/she signed with his tenants being broken. He/she is letting his/her house to three tenants and subsequently finds that he/she actually has at least seven full-time tenants? He/she is not taking about having "friends and relations around to socialize" nor about a tenant having "more than one child". He/she has twice referred to at least four additional full-time tenants.

Now, can you tell me which country in Europe has Tenancy Agreements which would allow the above breach? In my experience of two countries, the short answer would be 'None'. There are big happy old squats in Copenhagen, Amsterdam and other big cities which are occupied by those with 'alternative' lifestyles but if you are taking about legal renting, then there are, as you mention, very strict rules which protect the tenant but, something you seem happy to overlook, also protect the landlord.

And as for your comments that in Ireland 'landlords can let any old dump just to make money' well, time was when that was true, especially before the building boom and especially in those one-on-one lettings without any Tenancy Agreement, but anyone looking to rent now knows that, for the past eight or nine months, you can have the cream of the crop for cheaper than one would have paid seven or eight years ago. But lying on a Tenancy Agreement is still lying.

Palaver, I rented out this property a month ago. Within the first day it was obvious to me that there were far more people living there than agreed. Also it is not a dump, I spent a month working out at the (new)house, cleaning , furnishing etc. It is finished to a higher standard than my own house at this stage. The rent I get is €625 a month, fair to both parties, it doesn't cover the mortgage but that's ok as it is an investment.
    I have most of my savings tied up in this house at this stage as it sat empty for a year - changing auctioneers was the answer. Every request by the tenant was met with utmost urgency and respect.
    Your attitude to me is ridiculous , I am not some wealthy landlord, like many people who made a living during the Tiger years I invested (probably unwisely) into property.

NiamhK wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas as to a problem I'm having in my neighbourhood and how to resolve it?

A couple of months back a few of the houses in my neighbourhood were rented out to people whom obviously have just moved out of their parents homes 'cos they seem to think every night is party night. This doesn't bother me too much, screaming and shouting drunk up the road at 3 in the morning is beginning to get grating alright but I try and squash my pillow on my head!

The disturbing think is the amount of 'boy racers'. Now don't get me wrong I don't mean young male car enthusiasts/modifiers. I mean morons who think drink driving from 2 to 5 in morning while doing handbreak turns around the housing estate is the coolest thing ever. At this stage it's getting worrying because they seem to meet up the road at the garage and they can be heard racing up and down the road all night. Some innocent person driving to/from work is going to meet one of these morons coming against them at high speed with devastating consequences.

What can I do? The neighbourhood used to be a quiet young family orientated estate but a few idiots are causing alot of people restless nights. I have called the guards on a number of occasions and so have other people I know. I also know of people who have gone to the station to make a formal complaint, give the license plate numbers and the houses they are living in but nothing seems to be done. When the guards are rang between 2 and 5 in the morning they normally arrive at half 8 to drive through the neighbourhood when these lads are tucked up in bed and the rest of us are sleepily getting ready to leave for work.

Can anyone suggest what steps can be taken before someone gets seriously hurt? I have witnessed lads falling out of one car and stumbling into the drivers side of another car and taking off at high speeds down the road!

On a side note, was there some law brought in or being brought in regarding the noise emmissions from cars, I don't know what these guys have done to their exhaust but why on earth would you want your crappy Corsa sounding that bloody loud??

Try putting all complaints to the Gardai in writing and, if there is no response, start sending the letters by registered post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 NiamhK

Thanks Teadrinker, that's an idea. Might get onto the resident committee and start the ball rolling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement