Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading AMD processor

Options
  • 25-08-2009 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

Im considering upgraging my processor but am unsure if I can. Ive been having a look around and cant find suitable replacement. Can someone please advise if its possible. My current system:

Dell inspiron 1721
    AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 2.0 GHz
    2.00 Gb RAM
    32-bit OS

From what Im learning the replacement processor needs to be S1 Socket but I cant find a faster processor with S1 socket.

Im complete noob to this but is this all I need to look for? I was hoping to put in an AMD Sempron 3300+ dont not sure if its possible?

Can someone please advise without getting too technical :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

lol_leo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Im considering upgraging my processor but am unsure if I can. Ive been having a look around and cant find suitable replacement. Can someone please advise if its possible. My current system:

Dell inspiron 1721
    AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-60 2.0 GHz
    2.00 Gb RAM
    32-bit OS

From what Im learning the replacement processor needs to be S1 Socket but I cant find a faster processor with S1 socket.

Im complete noob to this but is this all I need to look for? I was hoping to put in an AMD Sempron 3300+ dont not sure if its possible?

Can someone please advise without getting too technical :confused:

It's a laptop, so upgrading it is extremely unlikely.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Attack your installation with a good thorough CCleaner run, Spybot and a defrag. That's about the only way that laptop will be getting any faster :o

Upgrading the CPU in a modern laptop (i.e. not soldered in! :D) is doable, but messy and not really worth the risk or hassle. Depending on the thermal envelope (very important in laptops) you might get a new CPU with up to 5% or 25% more speed and power, but that's it. And the TL-60 ain't great compared to newer C2Dm CPUs but its certainly not that slow for a mobile CPU either. Add the fact that mobile CPUs are extremely expensive to buy and you're better off out of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭lol_leo

Ok thanks for info...its not really what I was hoping to hear tho :(

Im not too worried about the risk of damage changing the processor as Im fairly handy when it comes to messing about with electrics but its more a case of will it work! An extra 25% more power would be nice as I use my laptop for gaming but with newer games its getting a bit slow (1.5 yrs old!).

I would still like to know whats available to me just to see cost vs benefit.

Is any CPU with an S1 socket going to work in my m/c. Also is it possible to change over to an Intel chip or would that mean changing motherboard?

Have spybot running but havent done a de-frag but good idea :) thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Ok thanks for info...its not really what I was hoping to hear tho :(

Im not too worried about the risk of damage changing the processor as Im fairly handy when it comes to messing about with electrics but its more a case of will it work! An extra 25% more power would be nice as I use my laptop for gaming but with newer games its getting a bit slow (1.5 yrs old!).

I would still like to know whats available to me just to see cost vs benefit.

Is any CPU with an S1 socket going to work in my m/c. Also is it possible to change over to an Intel chip or would that mean changing motherboard?

Have spybot running but havent done a de-frag but good idea :) thanks

What graphics card are you running in the laptop?

Honestly, even top spec super expensive laptops barely run the latest games at good framerates when compared to much cheaper desktops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

There are a few faster processors based on the 65nm Tyler core:

TL-62 2100 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-64 2200 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-66 2300 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-68 2400 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

But i bet it will be pretty hard to find them. I can find a few on ebay though, but no actuall online shop i can think of seems to sell them.

• Advertisement

jonny72 wrote: »
    What graphics card are you running in the laptop?

Honestly, even top spec super expensive laptops barely run the latest games at good framerates when compared to much cheaper desktops.

It a ATI Radeon X1270

Anti wrote: »
    There are a few faster processors based on the 65nm Tyler core:

TL-62 2100 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-64 2200 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-66 2300 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)
    TL-68 2400 MHz (512 KiB L2-Cache per core)

But i bet it will be pretty hard to find them. I can find a few on ebay though, but no actuall online shop i can think of seems to sell them.

Ive no problems buying of ebay but was hoping to bump up to 3.2 GHz

Dont all laugh at once plz :o

Okay everyone, all together now: roflmao.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

Laptops don't have a large enough thermal envelope (read: CPU cooler) or voltage range to service those kind of overclocks, plus the CPU dies are specially designed for low-voltage operation so increases in voltage would be needed for even minor OCing and even with sufficient cooling a moderate hike would significantly reduce the CPU's life expectancy. And even if there was a hack and the mobo or the CPU didn't melt as a result the battery would be utterly caned by the 50-150% increase in power usage. A 45W CPU in a laptop is bad enough...

In any case HT issues would most likely limit your current CPU to 2.6GHz max (theoretical, as things would melt :o) and it would take a miracle to even get the TL-68 up to 3GHz - these are Athlon-based parts after all :(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Laptop processors are always really hard to find, and even if you can it's not really economical to upgrade.

Ok, ok...I give up so :(

Maybe its better to buy a seperate tower for gaming.

Just wondering why Dell's XPS is advertised as a gaming laptop when its CPU speed is 2.4 GHz which isnt really much faster than mine...or is it?

Latest game I bought has the following

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:

* CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 3.2 GHz or AMD Athlon(TM) 64 3400+ processor
    * RAM: 1GB RAM
    * Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA(R) Geforce(R) 6800 GT or ATI Radeon(TM) X800
    * Sound Card: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    * HDD Space: 8GB (Plus an additional 800MB for Windows swap file)
    * Media: 100% Microsoft Windows compatible DVD-ROM drive
    * Internet: Broadband connection and service required for multiplayer

Is there any way I can get my 2.0 GHz cpu to run game more smoothly. Older games run fine! Am I ok with the Radeon x1270 card..just CPU is slow?

• Advertisement

The problem with your laptop and gamign is yoru graphics card. The x1270 just isn't up to running more modern games.

There was going to be a solution brough out to run a desktop graphics card on a laptop via the pci-x slot, but it never seemed to materialize.

With the help of some of the lads on here, they can advise you on how to build a cheap gaming desktop for under 500€. Also have a look on adverts.ie too loads of stuff for sale there.

Mobile gaming just isn't practical unless you're willing to part up with €1400 every couple of years for a new, contemporary gaming-spec laptop. Even then it'd be about as good as a €500 desktop rig :o

Ok thanks guys. I never ventured into this part of the forum before and have just spent the last hour admiring some of the builds on here. Hmm...I have my old Dell desktop sitting here collecting dust. Maybe, maybe...ok what do I need? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

What's the resolution of your monitor, What games do you plan on playing and sure give us a budget too

Effluo wrote: »
    What's the resolution of your monitor, What games do you plan on playing and sure give us a budget too

Its an old 19" monitor that came with Desktop/tower...cant rem what res was. No way of checking either as I stripped PC before but never put back together.

If Im going to do this I would be looking at getting just the essential basics i.e. would hope to use the existing PSU, drives, casing etc...

budget is as little as possible as its only a temp thing. Not sure how long I'll be staying around!

Main game has been RTCW 1.0 but just bought new Wolfenstein and Quake 4

Guess I need to start new thread... Any spares :)

best bet is to go to adverts.ie then, and buy a second hand pc there are for what you need it would be wasted on new technology. But incase you want it all new ill assuem you have all the basics like:

Monitor
    Case
    PSU
    HDD's
    Keyboard
    Mouse

So this is the very basics you will need.

Mobo, cpu and ram Q8200 quad core, 2gb crucial ram, Gigabyte Gigabyte GA-G41M-ES2L 218€ - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=407562

Graphics card - 77€ 9600GT - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=485765

You can go a bit cheaper again to be honest, as for what you want its a bit over kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Nope - that 280 is "Small Form Factor", so, while it does have a PCI-E slot for a graphics card, the case is too low for one. Technically you can get a riser card for this model (a small daughter board that plugs into the PCI slot and allows two full-form cards to be plugged in, sideways), but that's no good for graphics.

Hmm ok...no easy cheap solution to this! Or maybe...

Ive been looking into overclocking the laptop.

Ive D/L cpuZ, Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) and ClockGen. Im thinking to ramp up the clock speed to see what I can get out of it. Its an ATI board so I think ClockGen is the right one to use?

NHC should take care of any overheating issues from what I understand? It shuts down if thing get to hot.

What you do you guys think?

ps...one guy got 2.1 GHz out of his 1.6 GHz AMD Turion 64 CPU

Laptops are not designed to be overclocked. You will only encouter probles as the laptop will not be able to shift the extra heat produced. You will either get a lot of stability issues, or you will end up breakign something.

The option i listed above for 300€ is really the best solution for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Hmm ok...no easy cheap solution to this! Or maybe...

Ive been looking into overclocking the laptop.

Ive D/L cpuZ, Notebook Hardware Control (NHC) and ClockGen. Im thinking to ramp up the clock speed to see what I can get out of it. Its an ATI board so I think ClockGen is the right one to use?

NHC should take care of any overheating issues from what I understand? It shuts down if thing get to hot.

What you do you guys think?

ps...one guy got 2.1 GHz out of his 1.6 GHz AMD Turion 64 CPU

You can overclock the laptop all you want, if won't make any difference. The graphics card is very bad.

Using the old dell you will just run into problems. Maybe salvage the DVD drive.

Best bet is to get a 500euro or even 400 euro desktop from hardwareversand.de specced from one of the guys here. The site will even build it for you for 20 quid extra. Postage is about 30 quid. It will be able to run all the latest games silky smooth on that monitor for about 450 euros to 500 euros.

If you have less money, get a half decent old PC from adverts.ie.

1.86 ghz core2duo is faster than a p4 single core 3.4 ghz.
    512mb graphics card can be MUCH faster than a 1 gig graphics card.
    Don't look into numbers so much, just either read reviews yourself or get recommendations here.

Ok guys thanks...

Ive run out of ideas apart from having to spend some cash. Good point on the overclocking without a decent graphics card.

Guess I'll do a bit of looking around n see if I can pick up something cheapish. I wont be playing new wolfenstein anytime soon looking at the system requirements :(

What parts do you have that could be "recycled" into a new desktop? I know about the 19" monitor. Is it flat or old-style? In any case I'm guessing your resolution is either 1280*1024 or 1440*900. A ~€75 HD4830 or 9800GT could handle almost anything on that size screen, and if you don't want to play the latest games then you might even be able to get away with less (e.g. HD4650 GDDR3).

As for the rest... do you have a case/HDD/DVD/PSU etc. you can reuse?

Solitaire wrote: »
    What parts do you have that could be "recycled" into a new desktop? I know about the 19" monitor. Is it flat or old-style? In any case I'm guessing your resolution is either 1280*1024 or 1440*900. A ~€75 HD4830 or 9800GT could handle almost anything on that size screen, and if you don't want to play the latest games then you might even be able to get away with less (e.g. HD4650 GDDR3).

As for the rest... do you have a case/HDD/DVD/PSU etc. you can reuse?

1280 x 1024 sounds familiar...its not a flat screen

Yes have old Dell tower case (quite big), psu, 2 x HDD's, DVD drives etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Gonna need the full spec. . . . . . O_o

Advertisement