Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wippermann chains. Ferrules. Cable outers.

Options
  • 25-08-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

After the visit of Mr Skeffington at the weekend I'm inspired to get more pro-active with maintaining my bikes.

First off, I need a 10 speed replacement for my Ultegra chain. I could just go with Ultegra again, but Wippermann chains get lots of good things said about them. Anyone here used them, or recommend alternatives? SRAM or KMC are ones I've looked at.

Also, where do you all buy cable outers and outer ferrules. Most online stores sell them as part of a set, so outers, cables, ferrules in one pack. Is there no cheaper/bulk way of buying them?

All I can find in bulk are packs of alloy cable ends on Ebay, but PayPal is no use to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

For chains, I would go with SRAM, that's just personal preference though.

You should be able to get ferrules etc.. from the LBS. If you know then well enough they will generally give them to you for free :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Get a Wippermann. Then you can tell me whether the Connex link works well or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

halfords sell packs of cable ends - where i got my last pack from (really cant remeber how much but they woernt more than few euro for a pack of 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Been using Wipperman (Connex) chains since 2000 now.

Before that I used shimano on shimano XTR drivetrain.

The Wipperman definitely improved shifting.

Have found them great, especially the Connex Link (for thourough off the bike cleaning).

On the odd occasion that I couldn't get a Wipperman chain (like when I returned to Ireland in 2002) I tried Shimano and SRAM.

Have NEVER broken a Wipperman Chain....broken more than a few Shimano/SRAM. But that was mountain biking :)

I even tried a Campag Record chain with my 9 speed Campag stuff....but the Wipperman shifted better....

CRC sell the Wipperman Chains and do decent deals on packs of 3.

€1.99 for a pack of 10 cable ends from Halfords...

Best of luck,
    Peter

peterako, have you used Wipperman 10sp, or just 9sp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭lukester

Lumen wrote: »
    Get a Wippermann. Then you can tell me whether the Connex link works well or not.

I'm conflicted about the Connex, particularly as I recently bought a Park chain cleaner which means I no longer need to worry about removing the chain to clean it thoroughly. But I'd pay the extra for better shifting and longevity.

@edwinireland, peterako You can buy packs of 50 cable ends on ebay in the UK for a few quid, but not surprised Halford's charge the same for 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Lumen wrote: »
    peterako, have you used Wipperman 10sp, or just 9sp?

Sorry Lumen, just 9 speed....I'm a Luddite :)

But, even when I couldn't get a Connex chain I used my Connex link on the temp replacement (SRAM or Shimano in those cases) and it (the link) worked faultlessly.

I've used the 9 speed Connnex with my mountain bike on pretty serious down hill circuits on Oz, and through the Bog here. No problems.

Have yet to throw as much abuse at a chain on my road bike :)

Peter

Thanks Peter. The reason I asked was because I think I read that there are some usability differences going from 9sp-10sp, like the Connex link is tougher to open or something.

I could be getting confused with the whole SRAM PowerLink/PowerLock issue, I forget.

edit: Roadbikereviews are not great for the 10sp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lukester wrote: »
    I'm conflicted about the Connex, particularly as I recently bought a Park chain cleaner which means I no longer need to worry about removing the chain to clean it thoroughly. But I'd pay the extra for better shifting and longevity.

@edwinireland, peterako You can buy packs of 50 cable ends on ebay in the UK for a few quid, but not surprised Halford's charge the same for 10.

thanks

but but i was in there and needed some and couldnt be bothered ebaying sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

Most bike shops would give you a few cable ends if you asked nicely. The wippermann chains have a top rep. I have only used their 1/8" models (single speed), but they (9 and 10s) are the best according to a few people I know. I go by the motto of any chain but shimano or kmc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I used a Wipperman 10sp chain up until Mon eve when it had a fight with my Ultegra rear mech.
    For the price of them on CRC they are worth the fiver extra. Feel a whole lot stronger then Shimano (which I snapped). Shifting wise I didnt notice a whole lot of difference.
    Have an sram on at the mo but have yet to put it through it paces but I will be ordereing another wipperman to have when I need it.
    Re the lock bit. I tried to remove it with that but had a difficult time but seeing as the chain was knackered I just popped the link.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Resurrecting this thread... do the Wipperman chains last longer?
    I'm kinda disappointed that the SRAM 10-speeds never make it any further than 2000 miles... I was getting more like 3000 or 4000 miles out of the 9-speeds.

Advertisement