Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Springer trouble]

Options
  • 25-08-2009 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I have two 10 week old springers and the mother has started picking on just one in the last two or three days. She is biting her and trying to drag her away from the other pup.. She is hurting the pup and knows she is doing wrong because she wont do it if she thinks i am watching. Can anyone help or has anyone experienced this before.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

Mothers do get sick of their offspring. Its territorial and also natural. Is the one being picked on female?
    If the mother is confined with the pups it can be ! Springers are very high energy so bringing the mother for a long walk on her own can be beneficial for some time out and an energy drainer

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

hi, yes she is female but so is the other pup. The mother gets two walks a day on her own and is away from them most of the day. I have a rather large garden so they have half each. But now that you mention it, she does this mostly after being out for walks with them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

it is a bit surprising as it is a bit early for the mum to reject them.
    Is the pup trying to feed when she snaps at her? She may have particularly sharp teeth. 10 weeks is time enough to wean them anyway and put them up for rehoming.
    The mum might even be in heat again and just a bit hormnal.
    Some people suggest that animals can sense if there is something not-quite-right with a pup and reject them(illness, genetic problems)???
    I'm not sure I am being any help?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭chrisr

any help is appreciated. But they are not going to be re homed. And they are just weaned off. I will just keep a close eye on their behavior. I did catch her sneaking a bit of the mothers dinner

Advertisement