Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused about how to choose electives

Options
  • 25-08-2009 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Would anybody be able to tell me how do I go about choosing and registering for electives.
    I'm a mature student starting an arts degree in History & Politics. I was at a writing course in UCD last week and one of the others had her timetable pretty much worked out. Her daughter had done it for her [not registered for them just worked out her timetable].
    I haven't a clue how to do this & I can't find it on the website [lecture & tutorial times I mean]..
    Could anyone point me in the right direction - getting a bit stressed about it now. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Log onto your sisweb account. Then click the "Enter Reg" button. Then click the "Module Reg" button on the bar at the top, I think it is blue. Then click "Electives". Here you can search for electives and reg for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Ok, thanks a million for your reply. I did what you said but ''phase 2 is not available yet''.
    I think it opens on 27th which is grand, I just don't know how that lady found out times of lectures and tutorials...any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Mick T

Log onto your sisweb account. Then click the "Enter Reg" button. Then click the "Module Reg" button on the bar at the top, I think it is blue. Then click "Electives". Here you can search for electives and reg for them.

iv done all the following and it says that it is not available yet? is this just with certain courses (im doing commerce) or have i yet to do something?

@littlefriend

If you go to www.ucd.ie/students and click "Course Search" (or something along those lines) you can search for what ever courses you are thinking of picking as electives. When you find a course and click on it, information comes up about it, such as "What Will I Learn?" and other such things. At the very bottom of the page, there will be "When is this offered?" Click on this and it will give you times when that course is offered.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

@Mick T

If you are a CAO student/incoming first year, phase 2 isn't open to you until the 27th

http://www.ucd.ie/students/regdates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I've been doing the exact same thing for my dad who is going in as a mature student. Its all quite complicated but the timetable info is in there.

Start here...

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

Click on Arts & Human Sciences
    Click on DN012: Arts - Omnibus (assuming your doing straight arts)

In there, the subjects are grouped by timetable group - you can only choose one subject from each group (to ensure you don't get timetable clashes).

So let say we start with Politics - This is the fourth option in group D. Click on it..

For normal arts, click on Stage 1: Politics (Subject / Stream). This lists 4 topics that will make up a normal 20 credit Politics course. Lets get the available times for the first, core module - click on Introduction to Political Theory: Models of Democracy. In here there are two key things to look at (aside from the intro etc.) The How will I learn? section tells you how many lectures/tutorials etc you will have...

Lectures 22
    Tutorial 5
    Autonomous Student Learning 73
    Total Workload 100

and the When is this module offered? section shows all the available hours...

Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 1 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 2 Mon: 11:00-11:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 3 Tue: 11:00-11:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 4 Fri: 13:00-13:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 5 Tue: 16:00-16:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 6 Mon: 12:00-12:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 7 Fri: 10:00-10:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 8 Mon: 13:00-13:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 9 Thu: 13:00-13:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 10 Wed: 09:00-09:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 11 Thu: 09:00-09:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 12 Wed: 10:00-10:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 13 Wed: 11:00-11:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 14 Tue: 15:00-15:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 15 Thu: 14:00-14:50 (3, 5, 7, 10, 12)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 16 Tue: 16:00-16:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 17 Thu: 13:00-13:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 18 Tue: 15:00-15:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 20 Mon: 11:00-11:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 21 Thu: 09:00-09:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 22 Tue: 09:00-09:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 23 Tue: 11:00-11:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 24 Wed: 10:00-10:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 25 Thu: 14:00-14:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 26 Fri: 13:00-13:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 27 Wed: 09:00-09:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 28 Mon: 12:00-12:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 30 Wed: 11:00-11:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 31 Mon: 13:00-13:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Tutorial Semester 1 Offering 32 Fri: 10:00-10:50 (2, 4, 6, 9, 11)
    Lectures Semester 1 Offering 1 Fri: 11:00-11:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)
    Lectures Semester 1 Offering 1 Wed: 15:00-15:50 (Sem1: All Weeks)

This is the confusing bit! My understanding of it (and I'm 99.9% certain this is the way to read it) is that the following rule applies - all required hours of a certain type (lecture/tutorial/seminar etc) are grouped together under an "Offering". You only choose one "Offering" for each type. So in the above scenario, you choose ONE tutorial offering (whichever one suits you basically) and the only available Lecture offering (Offering 1 at the end). This will give you 1 hour of tutorials every second week and 2 hours of tutorials every week. You can check this reading is right by comparing it against the How will I learn? section - it says you will do a total of 5 hours tutorial and 22 hours lectures for the semester. This basically agrees with doing two hours lectures every week (with a reading week or study week somewhere in the 12 week semester) and a tutorial every second week.

Ideally set up a spreadsheet with the hours going across and the days going down, one sheet for each semester. Start to build up your prospective timetable subject by subject using the technique above. Note that for Electives, you get the same info by starting at Course Search but then clicking on the tab * 2009/10 Modules - this will you allow search outside of the Arts subjects for your electives.

Hope that helps. If any UCD people have any thoughts on what I've said please chime in!

C

<edit> which is bascially what IrishKnight said, now i reread it :D </edit>

• Advertisement

Or just wait until you reg your cores/options and have a look at the nice timetable UCD makes for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Or just wait until you reg your cores/options and have a look at the nice timetable UCD makes for you...

I think there is a fear that everything is gonna be a frenzy on Thursday :D I know if I was doing arts I would be inclined to mull over the timetable now so I could be sure I am choosing the best options on Thursday.

c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Thanks for your replies.
    Last question - will there be a big frenzy on Thursday? I mean if there is a problem accessing the system should I sit at my pc trying all the time or is it ok to wait a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

God question

Actually, can we go on from midnight tonight d'ya think? Or early tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

God question

Actually, can we go on from midnight tonight d'ya think? Or early tomorrow?

Early tomorrow it doesn't seem to open at midnight at all.

• Advertisement

Damn.

I imagine it's going to be a repeat of the CAO site on the last few miutes of registering your choices... D:

From exp., it opens around 0730 hr or so. And yes there will be a frenzy. But if you get on early enough and do it as fast as your can, you should be ok, but after 0900hr or so the system normally starts to slow down. If it is slow, sign out and sign back in again once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eamon27

Do we register our modules for both semesters tomorrow? Or do we register semester 2 later in the year?

You register for both semesters tomorrow.

Both, however, if I rememeber rightly they open reg for a few days if you want to change something in second sem. I might be wrong about that though...

Both, however, if I rememeber rightly they open reg for a few days if you want to change something in second sem. I might be wrong about that though...

I think this is just electives they open for.

In 'preparation' mode now... hope I get the modules I want... come to think of it, I'm not even sure what my options are, english and drama joint major is new and confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Do you have to pay first before you can register for subjects?

No, but you have to pay by the 6th of September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No, but you have to pay by the 6th of September

cool, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redsetter

""This is the confusing bit! My understanding of it (and I'm 99.9% certain this is the way to read it) is that the following rule applies - all required hours of a certain type (lecture/tutorial/seminar etc) are grouped together under an "Offering". You only choose one "Offering" for each type. So in the above scenario, you choose ONE tutorial offering (whichever one suits you basically) and the only available Lecture offering (Offering 1 at the end). This will give you 1 hour of tutorials every second week and 2 hours of tutorials every week. You can check this reading is right by comparing it against the How will I learn? section - it says you will do a total of 5 hours tutorial and 22 hours lectures for the semester. This basically agrees with doing two hours lectures every week (with a reading week or study week somewhere in the 12 week semester) and a tutorial every second week"

Thanks for this above, but I'm stil a bit confused, there are 2 lecture offerings available? Can anyone shed light on this, probably a stupid question but is it 1 or 2 lectures we are picking along with the 1 tutorial...just trying to figure out my timetable.

There are two lecture offerings available for subjects which are very popular e.g economics. Its just to fit everyone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 redsetter

Okay great thanks a mil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭SugoiHito

I have a question about electives...I read somewhere that if your in stage 1 you can only pick level 0 and level 1 electives?But in my search for electives i clicked the level 2 as well and found level 2 japanese which suits me since i did it for the leaving cert...i assume i can do it even though its not stage 0 or 1?It was also offered in sememster 1 and 2 and after i registered for semester 1 and went to do the same for semester 2 i couldnt find it anywhere.So does this mean that its the same course repeated in semesters 1 and 2 and when you register for one you can pick a different elective for semester two?I hope someone can help me:p

Advertisement