Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smithwicks rebrand

Options
  • 25-08-2009 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It destroyed my theory that Smithwick's was about to be discontinued as it was the only Diageo beer which hadn't been given a garish new keg font. Oh well.

Anyway: I absolutely hate the trend towards bigger, flashier, more elaborate keg fonts. It's an arms race between the big brewers in which the drinker loses by having to put up with uglier bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

BeerNut wrote: »
    It destroyed my theory that Smithwick's was about to be discontinued as it was the only Diageo beer which hadn't been given a garish new keg font. Oh well.
    Pity. would be no loss if it went away TBH, tried to like it but can discern no flavour from it whatsoever. Porterhouse Red kicks it's ass every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Yeah.
    "We need a radical departure from our mostly-green branding."
    "Mostly red?"
    "Brilliant!"
    "That'll be €1,000,000 please."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Fallen Buckshot

Yah they had to change Smittys to red so they could change Harp to green

6pkbHarpLager12oz.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Now if the good peopleat Diageo were to produce an Ale that actually tasted of something, then I might give it a try. Pure swill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Anyway: I absolutely hate the trend towards bigger, flashier, more elaborate keg fonts. It's an arms race between the big brewers in which the drinker loses by having to put up with uglier bars.

The shining knight of the Irish brewing industry Galway Hooker has a big, flashy keg font. In Maroon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

oblivious wrote: »

Gah - that stupid 'are you over 18?' flash page to arrive at a 'website coming soon' page.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Smithwicks - Essa è birra molto bene

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Urgh that looks awful.

IronMan wrote: »
    The shining knight of the Irish brewing industry Galway Hooker has a big, flashy keg font. In Maroon.
    Mostly white, innit? Yeah, it's pretty ugly. It would annoy me when I see it in The Palace except I've already walked past the fake handpumps by that stage so am all angered out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

IronMan wrote: »
    True, but at least it has a beer to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

The new taps in particular look awful. When I first saw it I instantly thought it was a bud tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The thing with Smithwick's is that it's a fine line between completely inoffensive and blandly flavourless.

Tried the White Gypsy Red Ale last night.
    It's completely inoffensive!!

Tried the White Gypsy Red Ale last night.
    It's completely inoffensive!!
    I'm guessing that's rebadged MM Rusty. Where was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm guessing that's rebadged MM Rusty. Where was it?

Abbott's in Cork.

Served up through a stout for extra blandness!

Is this just a rebranding or is the thing getting a relaunch. Relaunch of course just meaning some promotion or whatever.

Any sign of MacArdles getting a rebrand? :pac:

• Advertisement

I don't. I think Macarde's is in the Satzenbrau end of the range where they're waiting for the market to die of old age so they can stop making it.

Oh yeah. Of course. Can't bleedin' wait :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

toiletduck wrote: »
    The new taps in particular look awful. When I first saw it I instantly thought it was a bud tap.

And maybe that is a reason why they changed it. Bud sells well so lets go with it. I think the taps look oke and it might even get me to buy the odd pint.
    I like a large bottle of McArdles every so often and really like the porterhouse red. It is a pity that Smithwicks is so bland as I reckon most people on this forum would appreciate a decent ale being available in most puts no matter how garish the tap is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

will this be the end of the phrase
    "as fashionable as a pint of smithwicks" ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I don't. I think Macarde's is in the Satzenbrau end of the range where they're waiting for the market to die of old age so they can stop making it.

OI! :mad:

I'm only 29, and I drink Macardles whenever I see it on sale.

Des wrote: »
    I'm only 29, and I drink Macardles whenever I see it on sale.
    I'm sure they have a chart up in James's Gate where your demographic has a label, and an indication of how much you're actually worth to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Isn't the Irish red the red headed stepchild of Irish brewing? I think it is a training wheels beer for people who want to move away from Lager but not go all out crazy yet.

I loved Biddy Early's red and used to love the porterhouse red. Has the porterhouse red changed recently or just my tastes?

I'm sure they have a chart up in James's Gate where your demographic has a label, and an indication of how much you're actually worth to the company.

I also like MacArdles!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I like ale and I'd drink Smithwicks usually over Bud/Carls/Ken. Though I'm drinking more Guinness these days. I'm just glad they're not killing it off completely. May be moving to England soon enough so I'll have a better choice of ale hopefully.

Advertisement