Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The newest Nokia. The 5230 is a cheaper 5800

• 25-08-2009 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

3855590438_f4db4a7549_m.jpg3854814829_97263bc237_o.png

3.2" touch screen with full-screen QWERTY keyboard and handwriting recognition. Paired with Facebook and Twitter.

33 hours of music playback time, a 3.5mm headphone jack and memory expandable up to 16GB via a microSD card. It doesnt have wifi which wont suit some people but its fairly cheap so will get a lot of touchscreen phones into the market imo.

Two versions of the phone will launch – a standard device costing €149, and in some select areas a Comes With Music version will be available for €259. The Nokia 5230 is expected to begin shipping in the fourth quarter of 2009.

The Three sisters:

5800, 5530, 5230
    touchcompared.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Nokia are really trying to cover all bases with their 5xxx series touchscreen handsets. Fair play to them, as they have to at least attempt something given their current loss of market share.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

and since 5800 is the biggest selling phone in the eu i guess they are trying similar to it

Davy wrote: »
    and since 5800 is the biggest selling phone in the eu i guess they are trying similar to it

I was going to say "who else but Nokia would flood the market with several handsets that look virtually identical and are based upon a winning formula?", but then I thought of Sony Ericsson, Motorola and Apple who have done, and still do the, same thing.

If it ain't broke... just remove a few features and drop the price. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I hope this means that nokia will give us 5800 owners better firmware and added features like kintetic scrolling and a nicer homescreen. Well fingers crossed anyway.

No stylus? Well at least i can't seem to see one, unless they expect us to grow uber nails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Below are a few of the main differences.

- 3.2" screen
    - 3G
    - 2 MP camera
    - No Wi-Fi
    - A-GPS

- 2.9" screen
    - No 3G
    - 3.2 MP camera
    - Wi-Fi
    - No A-GPS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

The 5230 looks like my perfect phone.

3G, GPS, S60 5th, relatively cheap.

Any updates on when the 5230 will be available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

Damn, the 5230 looks good but with no wifi its a major minus.
    GF might go for it and I might go for the 5530.
    I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.
    The 5800 from Asia has some kinda of wifi restrictions.
    Do the 5230 and 5530 have the same restriction?

Damn, the 5230 looks good but with no wifi its a major minus.
    GF might go for it and I might go for the 5530.
    I have a question that hopefully someone can answer.
    The 5800 from Asia has some kinda of wifi restrictions.
    Do the 5230 and 5530 have the same restriction?

If you're referring to how the 5800 had Wi-Fi removed when it was launched in China, then you have nothing to worry about with regard to the European 5530's Wi-Fi capabilities; they're still intact.

• Advertisement

Ye, i think they have an exclusive on it. Meant to say it the other, thanks for reminding me :D

Dont think so, might be to late for the Christmas, i think i heard might be early next year instead.

If you don't mind it only being 2g then its a nice handset, go with a edge network and you will fine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Making a phone inferior to the 5800 is quite a feat =P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why you sell the 5800?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

I read somewhere that o2 will be doing the 5530.

I am in the market for a new phone, preferably a Wi-fi phone.

My question is, would I need a 3g connection? I use the internet a lot on my phone but the lack of 3g is the only thing leaving me in doubt about this phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I read somewhere that o2 will be doing the 5530.

I am in the market for a new phone, preferably a Wi-fi phone.

My question is, would I need a 3g connection? I use the internet a lot on my phone but the lack of 3g is the only thing leaving me in doubt about this phone.

No you dont need a 3g connection for Wifi :)

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    No you dont need a 3g connection for Wifi :)

i dont think think that's the question he asked....

Op does your current phone have 3g and I not at you happy with the speed? What do you use the internet for and how much so you use/download?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

BostonB wrote: »
    i dont think think that's the question he asked....

Op does your current phone have 3g and I not at you happy with the speed? What do you use the internet for and how much so you use/download?

My phone was 3g til it packed in. I used it for tv sometimes, but mainly general browsing ie. forums, facebook etc.

With the advent of free wi-fi (can these phones 'tap' into free wi-fi hotspots ala laptops?), and having wi-fi at home, I get the feeling I wouldn't be too reliant on 3g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

I can't believe it

@ 189.99 for the 5530 its a very good price, especially since its cheaper and better than the 5800 :) ( aint hard tbh :P)

o2 now have it sale for €199 payg for from free on bill, meteor will have to drop their "only on meteor" line now :D

rizzee wrote: »
    I can't believe it

@ 189.99 for the 5530 its a very good price, especially since its cheaper and better than the 5800 :) ( aint hard tbh :P)

Better? How do you figure that with no 3G and no GPS and smaller screen?

I got a brand new 5800 Unlocked for €205 + 15 delivery. I'd have expected the 5530 and 5230 to be around the €150 mark.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

what type of web usage - mins or hours wise would need a data plan.

I am looking at the hero or the 5800 - will use wifi at home but need web access (to view stocks) out and about. Is 3g enough for checking webpages - is a data plan needed at all ?? un-sure what to get and a plan or not.

k

karltimber wrote: »
    what type of web usage - mins or hours wise would need a data plan.

I am looking at the hero or the 5800 - will use wifi at home but need web access (to view stocks) out and about. Is 3g enough for checking webpages - is a data plan needed at all ?? un-sure what to get and a plan or not.

k

I'm on 3pay and can get 1GB addon for 10euro for the month. That's ~34MB per day. A massive amount really for a mobile device. Checking boards.ie, rte.ie and radiotimes.com for about 30mins a day on my 5800 clocked up about 3MB/4MB per day.

On O2, pre pay, you can basically get up to 50mb a day for 99cent. If you don't use it you don't pay, if you only use 10kb, you pay 20c (2c per KB), once you reach 50KB, it stays at 99c up until 50MB, after that it's 2c per KB again.

If you were to check a webpage daily, you'll always run up 99cent as you will always use more than 50KB. 99cent * 30 = €29.70 a month.

I'd say bundles are they way to go if you plan on regular usage.

3G is fine for checking webpages. Even GPRS does if your not in any particular rush. Mobile versions are handy if your signal level isn't great.

My phone was 3g til it packed in. I used it for tv sometimes, but mainly general browsing ie. forums, facebook etc.

With the advent of free wi-fi (can these phones 'tap' into free wi-fi hotspots ala laptops?), and having wi-fi at home, I get the feeling I wouldn't be too reliant on 3g.

I think relying on WiFi when you are out and about is a pain. There aren't that many free wifi spots around.

If you intend using the internet for more than email, when you out and about, I'd get a 3G phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

BostonB wrote: »
    I think relying on WiFi when you are out and about is a pain. There aren't that many free wifi spots around.

If you intend using the internet for more than email, when you out and about, I'd get a 3G phones.

Well... I live 6 miles outside Castlebar. No 3g. Even in Castlebar 3G is patchy at best. I rarely switch 3g on.
    For browsing I use opera mini, and with om there really is no noticable difference in speed betw 2g and 3g (tha's not just my 'impression' - Opera have confirmed that again and again). I only occasionally switch on 3g for large important email attachments, though mostly I'd use a pc to handle that.
    I'm sure there are more people out there who can live without 3g or wifi and yet would like to enjoy a feature-rich handset.
    So, although I personally would avoid the 5530 after my 5800 and n97, the reason is not the absence of 3g.
    Similarily, I'd also like there to be more non-gps variants of handsets. A lot of people don't need gps...or, don't WANT gps. Just like there are camera fans who wouldn't compromise and rather carry a proper cam than pay for a half-baked one in a phone... So, the more variations, the better imho.
    (of course, seeing people with iPhones or high-end walkman phones who then use an iPod for music on the go is a bit odd...but that's another thread... :P )

• Advertisement

strecker wrote: »
    ...For browsing I use opera mini, and with om there really is no noticable difference in speed betw 2g and 3g (tha's not just my 'impression' - Opera have confirmed that again and again). I only occasionally switch on 3g for large important email attachments...

If theres no difference why do switch on for emails? I assume if you don't have decent 3G in your area, there won't be much difference. The assumption would need to be you do have decent 3G for it to be worth it.
    strecker wrote: »
    So, the more variations, the better imho.
    (of course, seeing people with iPhones or high-end walkman phones who then use an iPod for music on the go is a bit odd...but that's another thread... :P )

I assume because most of them, had far worst SQ than a decent MP3 player, and it usually savages your battery. At least for someonen like me who only charges their phone and MP3 player every 4 or 5 days.

I agree with you, theres alll types of users. I like having a decent camera in my phone.

Advertisement